Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering triggering Amex 4506-T Req via CLI - Update: Got 4506-T'd

tag
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Considering triggering Amex 4506-T Req via CLI - Update: Got 4506-T'd

EDIT: TL;DR - I submitted a CLI request and I've been 4506-T'd.

Its been over 180 days since my last CLI with Amex. If I go 3x again, it will bring me to ~ $70k. I don't mind giving them access to my transcripts as long as its something I can easily do, I don't want to have to sit on hold with the IRS for 30+ minutes to do this. 

My plan is to apply for a PRG 50k then BCP to take advantage of the 6% cash back then re-allocate part of the limit to balance things out if I don't get a satisfactory starting limit with the BCP. I know that the max exposure is 40% of income, I'll be well below that. If for some reason Amex doesn't approve opening a revolver in the future (given I'm below the max limit), would they let me take some funds from one card to open the next?

For those of you who have completed an Amex FR 4506-T request, please feel free to share your point of view/stories/tips especially how long it took.

If you think this is a bad idea, feel free to share your feedback. I welcome constructive criticism! 

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Considering triggering Amex FR via CLI

If your income supports it then I say go for it. I believe Amex's max exposure for any individual is 100k. I've never been through an FR, but I've heard you can simply fill the form out online and then Amex and the IRS do the rest. Although I have also heard it can take a really long time for you to get an answer. Good luck!

Message 2 of 44
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If your income supports it then I say go for it. I believe Amex's max exposure for any individual is 100k. I've never been through an FR, but I've heard you can simply fill the form out online and then Amex and the IRS do the rest. Although I have also heard it can take a really long time for you to get an answer. Good luck!

I believe the 100k maximum is per revolver, meaning one could have at least two revolvers at 100k if their income supports it .

Message 3 of 44
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

asking for that isn't a FR, just requesting a 4506-t if you want said limit.. Also 40% isn't the rule either, just a general guideline as many people are over this threshold.

Best of luck if you go for it!  I believe it is all done online and you don't have to be on hold with IRS just give permission to IRS by online form to get your taxes

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

As CC says above, a 4506-T request is not an FR.  People her use the terms interchangeably and they are very different.

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As CC says above, a 4506-T request is not an FR.  People her use the terms interchangeably and they are very different.

Now you guys got me curious; what's the difference between the two?

Message 6 of 44
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

FR = request your 4506-t and you can comply or face account closure.  Charging during this time is suspended until you have made them happy. (don't have a choice if you want to keep account)

CLI = requesting over x amount might prompt them to ask for 4506-t, but if you don't provide it they won't shut down your account and it will stay active, just won't get said increase if you don't provide form.  (you have a choice on this one)

this is the difference in a nutshell..  Sure people will correct anything I stated incorrectly.

Message 7 of 44
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now you guys got me curious; what's the difference between the two?

Basically one is to verify income and the other is to see whether you can pay them back or not

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

My understanding is that with a 4506-T request related to a CLI, you can actually safely 'ignore' it, and nothing bad will happen (other than your not getting the CLI).

On the other hand, when there's an FR they freeze your account(s) to new charges (usually without warning), and then they tell you what must be done to regain access to your account, part of which might include the 4506-T, which in this case isn't optional if you want to keep the account.

Somebody please correct me if I've got this wrong.

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

My understanding is that with a 4506-T request related to a CLI, you can actually safely 'ignore' it, and nothing bad will happen (other than your not getting the CLI).

On the other hand, when there's an FR they freeze your account(s) to new charges (usually without warning), and then they tell you what must be done to regain access to your account, part of which might include the 4506-T, which in this case isn't optional if you want to keep the account.

Somebody please correct me if I've got this wrong.

That's pretty much it.  FRs can ask for a bit more information such as address verification but it mainly comes down to the consequences of not complying.  FRs occur far more often on charge cards because Amex is trying to verify your spending habits.  The 4506-T typically is requested from a consumer initiated request such as a CLI on a revolver.  Of course these are just generalities and either can happen at any time.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.