Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate 2 Amex Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidate 2 Amex Cards

I have a high 700 Credit score and have 2 amex card one with 20,000 CL (Delta) and other with 11,000 CL. I have Annual fees of $95 and $60. I want to consolidate those cards.

I want to consolidate both of them to get a palt card!

First of all is it possible, second is it advisable?

Please advise

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Consolidate 2 Amex Cards

What card do you want?

You use to be able to move CL around between cards online, but over a year ago amex stopped allowing you to do this online, not sure if you can do it over the phone or not, I would give them a call.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Delta Gold Amex and Starwood Amex! I wanted to consolidate both of them to a platinum if possible.

My consolidating CC will it ding my credit score? Appreciate you feed back as I am new for consolidation.

Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you can't convert credit cards with amex to charge cards with amex.  You can call amex and ask them what cards are available to Product Change to from your current cards.  You would probably have options to change to any other airline card, hotel card, or blue.

If you want a platinum charge, apply, with your credit lines with amex, they clearly like you and would probably love for you to have  a charge card too.

Message 4 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They would also love to have your $450 annual fee. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck trying.  I've tried on 3 separate occasions via phone now.  Tried to consolidate Blue Cash CL into SPG CL.  This option went away a year ago.

Message 6 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck trying.  I've tried on 3 separate occasions via phone now.  Tried to consolidate Blue Cash CL into SPG CL.  This option went away a year ago.

you may not be able to go from blue to SPG, but you could go blue to something else, you have to ask them what choices you have.

Product Changes are FOR SURE available, I have PC 4 of my accounts in the last 3 months and some of them 2 because I decided after the fact I didn't like the product I switched to.  Each time I do a product change I have different options based on the current product im in.

Message 7 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

It's not advisable. Your consolidated credit limit may be too high to be used for util.

Message 8 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

If you consolidate the accounts they might reduce the CL later to a lower amount. Best suggestion try to get them to do the product change to a no AF cards that way you can keep them in tact and apply for a platinum if you so desire.

Message 9 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I don't see any sense in trading $155 in total fees you currently have for a $450 fee, with no guarantee you would have the same total spending ability.  You have good lines with AMEX already, not much to be gained except for the image of a Platinum card in your wallet.  If it is worth it to you for that reason then give them a call and see what they will do, but remember you will be asking AMEX to look around your credit lines with them and you never know what they may do.  Way too much downside to this plan, imo.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.