cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate Both Chase freedom & CSP...good or bad idea?

tag
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Consolidate Both Chase freedom & CSP...good or bad idea?

I recently obtained a chase freedom, $3K CL. A few days later I was approved for the CSP, $5K CL. I wanted to consolidate them onto the CSP and have a single card with an $8K limit. Questions are:

Did I hurt my chances for a bigger CLI between the 2?

Should I have waited to get CLIs on both then do the consolidation?

Thanks

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Consolidate Both Chase freedom & CSP...good or bad idea?

@Ysettle4 wrote:

I recently obtained a chase freedom, $3K CL. A few days later I was approved for the CSP, $5K CL. I wanted to consolidate them onto the CSP and have a single card with an $8K limit. Questions are:

Thanks

Ysette,

Just my personal opinion, but why would you want to close out the Freedom? It's a fantastic partner to the CSP.

If you want one card to have a higher limit, then move $2.5k to the CSP and leave $500 on the Freedom to just use on 5x categories. It should not effect any CLI opportunities in the future.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If your spending might have increased with having 2 then might have decreased chances of a CLI, but honestly you'll probably have the same amount of spend that you would have had with 2 cards anyway. Use it for everything and you might receive a CLI! Smiley Happy GL!
Message 3 of 9
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

Thanks

Ysette,

Just my personal opinion, but why would you want to close out the Freedom? It's a fantastic partner to the CSP.

If you want one card to have a higher limit, then move $2.5k to the CSP and leave $500 on the Freedom to just use on 5x categories. It should not effect any CLI opportunities in the future.

Good luck!

Oh. Didn't realize I could move a portion of the CL over. That's what Ill do. Thanks!

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 4 of 9
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I've wondered about this as well.  I plan to acquire the CSP this winter for the signup bonus in order to pay for our vacation next summer.  My thought was just the oposite though, I'm not sure what I would do with the CSP after I got the bonus.  Since I never fly it seems like it would be kindof useless once the bonus was done.  I had assumed I would move the limit over to Freedom and close it.

I was actually considering moving the limit from the Amazon card over to Freedom and closing that one as well.

Message 5 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I've wondered about this as well.  I plan to acquire the CSP this winter for the signup bonus in order to pay for our vacation next summer.  My thought was just the oposite though, I'm not sure what I would do with the CSP after I got the bonus.  Since I never fly it seems like it would be kindof useless once the bonus was done.  I had assumed I would move the limit over to Freedom and close it.

I was actually considering moving the limit from the Amazon card over to Freedom and closing that one as well.

I don't know for me i would downgrade CSP to regular CS if you are't going to use , and then move some of your CL to Freedom if thats your primary chase card? I like to keep as many non af cards open . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I don't know for me i would downgrade CSP to regular CS if you are't going to use , and then move some of your CL to Freedom if thats your primary chase card? I like to keep as many non af cards open . 

I agree, and that's what I would do as well. I'm not sure if the regular CS has the 1.25 redemption rate on UR points (and to be honest, I've never used them... I have a ton of points just waiting to be cashed in for a nice vacation), but I like keeping that possibility open, since that could potentially save me more than the annual fee. Either way, I do use it for the 2x dining/travel, as long as it's not a 5x quarter for restaurants on the Freedom.

Message 7 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I agree, and that's what I would do as well. I'm not sure if the regular CS has the 1.25 redemption rate on UR points (and to be honest, I've never used them... I have a ton of points just waiting to be cashed in for a nice vacation), but I like keeping that possibility open, since that could potentially save me more than the annual fee. Either way, I do use it for the 2x dining/travel, as long as it's not a 5x quarter for restaurants on the Freedom.

THe one thing you will miss is transfer to airline and hotel partners , which is what UR points are best used for. It is something to keep in mind if you don't travel much. I would wait to transfer to airline partners or hyatt then downgrade to CS. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 9
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

THe one thing you will miss is transfer to airline and hotel partners , which is what UR points are best used for. It is something to keep in mind if you don't travel much. I would wait to transfer to airline partners or hyatt then downgrade to CS. 

This! I defenitely want to to advantage of. I may keep them both open and leave the CLs where they are. I'm oh-soSmiley Very Happy confused

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.