Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate cards?

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Consolidate cards?

I would like to consolidate some of high APR cards on to a 0% card. What is the best way for this…I would would then close these cards and pay off one card instead of many. Best cards out there for this? Not chase since I have way to many of them 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Re: Consolidate cards?

Depends what your current scores are, if you have any baddies on your reports, how many inquires you have, and your current utilization level. all those and more will affect whether or not a prime CCC will approve you for a reasonably high limit card for which you can do the BT's you wish.

If you only want to manage one card, that more easily accomplished following these easy steps:

1. Empt wallet of all but one CC.

2. Put other CC's into draw which contains socks and or other under garments.

3. Every 15th and 30th of the month pay as much as your budget/DW/DH allows until your cards are all at 0 balance except one which should report a tiny/small balance.

4. Do not use your cards again until completing step 3.

5. Love yourself and your new higher credit score.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 2 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Man I really want to do that. Just use my AMEX and SD everything else.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 11
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

I need to better then opening a new one...i am going to pay off BBY and kohls and then close them or wait til there closed i no longer need them and with the limits never moving useless...

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 4 of 11
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

You should sock draw BBY and Kohls once they are paid in full. Just leave them in there until they close them on you. Better to have a positive reporting trade lines. My 2 pennies on the matter anyway.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 5 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Citi Simplicity or Diamond Preferred probably, since they have no interest for eighteen months. However, unless the balances are in the thousands I don't see how it would be very beneficial to open a card just for that.

Message 6 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

DO NOT close the accts you pay off unless they have AFs.

Keep them open!! Ideally you want as many positive tradelines as possible!

A Barclaycard or Freedom is going to be easiest imo.

Even with a solid 700+ FICO, Citi was hard as fudge to get. Had to recon a million times!!

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 11
MrSwiss
Valued Member

NFCU= 0% 1YR on balance transfers..  If you can get in..

Swiss

Starting Score:EQ-642 --TU-632-- EX-?
Current Score:EQ-660 MyFico-- TU- 647 MyFico-- EX- 674 Quizzle
Goal Score:700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU vsig $14k -- NFCU PLat MC $14k - NAVChek $7.5K -- NFCU PLAT Visa $14k -Cap1 $1.5k--AMZ $700- Lowes $500- WALMART-$400
Message 8 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Depends what your current scores are, if you have any baddies on your reports, how many inquires you have, and your current utilization level. all those and more will affect whether or not a prime CCC will approve you for a reasonably high limit card for which you can do the BT's you wish.

If you only want to manage one card, that more easily accomplished following these easy steps:

1. Empt wallet of all but one CC.

2. Put other CC's into draw which contains socks and or other under garments.

3. Every 15th and 30th of the month pay as much as your budget/DW/DH allows until your cards are all at 0 balance except one which should report a tiny/small balance.

4. Do not use your cards again until completing step 3.

5. Love yourself and your new higher credit score.

You're better off keeping two cards, one with the 0% offer that is not being used after the debt is consolidated, this way you don't get hit with interest charges for new purchases while trying to pay down your debt that is at 0% 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
DO NOT close the accts you pay off unless they have AFs.

Keep them open!! Ideally you want as many positive tradelines as possible!

A Barclaycard or Freedom is going to be easiest imo.

Even with a solid 700+ FICO, Citi was hard as fudge to get. Had to recon a million times!!

Good luck!

Good advice, better to keep a card open... cut it up and throw it away if necessary but don't close it.

Also the Freedom will allow you to transfer a balance for a certain period of time with no BT fee and 0% for 15 months.

Chase Slate would also be an option to look at as it was really made for this kind of situation.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.