Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate two Barclay cards into one? Pros and Cons

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Consolidate two Barclay cards into one? Pros and Cons

Now you have an low apr emergency card with a nice limit. Good job humu!

Message 31 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just closed my Arrival +  to avoid the AF and rolled it into my Sallie Mae.  Fairly painless.   The SM was my lowest limit card by far and they never gave me a CLI (although the rewards on the card don't really need a high cap)..  Just like with Chase, I got a higher limit when I applied for the Arrival, and by consolidating in effect get the CLI I wanted.

Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I really would like to thank everyone for the excellent perspectives and ideas presented here. Talking with all of you really got me thinking about my needs with Barclay, and I decided it would be much more cumbersome to try to maintain spend on two separate Barclaycards. I clsoed Rewards this morning and moved that limit to Ring.

My new Ring card credit limit is now $12,500. I think this will be a better choice to concentrate my spend on one Barclaycard at this time, versus trying to ensure there was sufficient spend on two separate cards.

With 21 current cards and 19 of them being major credit cards, I have a number of cards I want to maintain a level of spend on, and did not see the value in having to juggle spend between two of the Barclay cards. I'm happy with my decision and with my new credit limit on the Ring, and I appreciate all of the help.

Have a wonderful Easter! Smiley Happy

Unknown-8.jpeg

Yeah, it can be hard trying to spend across many cards, so I see the reasoning for what you did. As long as you are satisfied, that's ultimately what matters! Happy Easter to you too.

Do you plan to put much spending on the Ring? Seems like more of a card to have for an emergency (carry a balance) vs a card for spending, since it doesn't provide any benefit for doing so. Not saying that as an attack; just curious! (That said, I don't think you needed the Rewards card anymore)

Thanks, kdm. Yes, it will definitely get some use as well as a small balance transfer coming along once I receive the card. Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Now you have an low apr emergency card with a nice limit. Good job humu!

Thanks, baller4, really appreciate it! Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just closed my Arrival +  to avoid the AF and rolled it into my Sallie Mae.  Fairly painless.   The SM was my lowest limit card by far and they never gave me a CLI (although the rewards on the card don't really need a high cap)..  Just like with Chase, I got a higher limit when I applied for the Arrival, and by consolidating in effect get the CLI I wanted.

Thanks LTL

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.