New Visitor
Psirix

Consolidating Credit Cards for 1 w/ rewards / Closing Credit Card

Hello myFICO forum,

I have 4 credit cards (MC / Visa) & only 1 has any real benefits/rewards (Citi American Aadvantage - Platinum).  My question is I would like to (if possible) consolidate / upgrade from that Citibank Aadvantage to the Citibank Executive World Elite as it carries some of the same rewards but some additional ones that fit my needs as I travel a bit for work.  Could or should I do this, in essence closing my Citi Aadvantage Platinum?  Would it negatively affect my credit score if I could consolidate?  If I can't consolidate would applying / getting the new Executive card negatively affect my score?

Follow up question my wife & I have a couple of jewelry store credit cards (Kays/Zales) from our wedding.  We have not used them in about 1.5 years.  I know it's good to use cards every once in a while.  Does this apply to store credit cards?  What happens if we let these or clothing store credit cards just sit & not use?

Thank you for all your help!

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Consolidating Credit Cards for 1 w/ rewards / Closing Credit Card

Psirix wrote:

Hello myFICO forum,

I have 4 credit cards (MC / Visa) & only 1 has any real benefits/rewards (Citi American Aadvantage - Platinum).  My question is I would like to (if possible) consolidate / upgrade from that Citibank Aadvantage to the Citibank Executive World Elite as it carries some of the same rewards but some additional ones that fit my needs as I travel a bit for work.  Could or should I do this, in essence closing my Citi Aadvantage Platinum?  Would it negatively affect my credit score if I could consolidate?  If I can't consolidate would applying / getting the new Executive card negatively affect my score?

Follow up question my wife & I have a couple of jewelry store credit cards (Kays/Zales) from our wedding.  We have not used them in about 1.5 years.  I know it's good to use cards every once in a while.  Does this apply to store credit cards?  What happens if we let these or clothing store credit cards just sit & not use?

Welcome to the Forum:smileyhappy:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: Consolidating Credit Cards for 1 w/ rewards / Closing Credit Card

Psirix wrote:

Hello myFICO forum,

None of these things will have any significant effect on your credit.    I suggest you apply for the card you want if they don't allow consolidation, which I gues they won't.   Just let your store cards sit and likely they will eventually close, but that is not a negative. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+