Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation vs. Closing

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Consolidation vs. Closing

Can anyone explain the FICO impacts of closing credit cards vs. consolidating the credit lines of 2 cards into one?

I'm starting to get too many cards for my liking, and it looks like my 2 BofA cards are the likely targets. One will need to go in the next year or two.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consolidation vs. Closing

@CreditScholar wrote:

Can anyone explain the FICO impacts of closing credit cards vs. consolidating the credit lines of 2 cards into one?

I'm starting to get too many cards for my liking, and it looks like my 2 BofA cards are the likely targets. One will need to go in the next year or two.

If you just close a card you will lose that CL contribution to your total CL and as a result your % utilization may go up depending on spending, negatively affecting your score.

Some banks will allow you to move all or nearly all of your CL over to another card before closing an account. In that sense, you will maintain your total CL but will still end up with a closed card. I think BofA is actually one of the banks that does not allow consolidation.

Either way, the closed card itself will have no negative effect on your score and will report as a paid, closed account for 10 years from date of closing (still contributing to your average age of accounts).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.