Reply
Regular Contributor
GoldenloveNY
Posts: 243
Registered: ‎02-29-2012
0

Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

[ Edited ]

So my Discover card was flagged from the fraud department today after my purchase at Dunkin Donuts. I received a email and call from Discover to verify my DD purchase made on my discover card. They also wanted to verify two recent purchases at a restaurant (just to play it safe, I guess). I have never used my Discover at restaurants since opening it last September (I used my Zync for restaurants), but since Discover is now offering 5% at restaurants, all my restaurant spending is going on my Discover. I guess I can understand why my sudden change in spending habit triggered a fraud alert. I guess I would have to contact Discover in the next 5% category to prevent any fraud alerts, since I only use my Discover for its 5% categories and online portal.

So how many times have you been flagged by any cc for susceptible fraud? I know Amex placed a hold on my Zync, and immediately contacted me in the first month of getting my ZYNC for making three charges in a single day. Now, I can charge up to five times, and no problem.

Zync from American Express- NPSL
Amex BCE- $1,000
Discover IT- $1,500
Bank of America 1-2-3 Rewards-$1,000
Chase Freedom- $500
Capital One- $500
Frequent Contributor
mikka1
Posts: 272
Registered: ‎12-28-2011
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

I have a strange gas station in my town (Delta in Bloomfield, NJ if someone knows the area) - I used it with credit cards only TWICE in my life. Results were:

 

1) Amex BCE - declined at the pump, next day - declined in grocery. Had to call in - they placed a fraud alert after the pump tried to authorize $100 upfront. 

2) Same gas station, BofA Cash Rewards. Several weeks after using it there because my BCE was declined (and there were no other transactions with that card at all! I use it very rarely due to a low limit) I got a letter informing me about account closure due to possible fraud and several days later I got a new card. 

 

Needless to say, I'm not visiting that gas station anymore :smileyhappy:) 2 out of 2 is a little bit too much...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data &colon:smileywink: Current TU - probably around ~750. I am now applying only for cards I can have fat sign-up bonuses on, repay them right away and close before next year. That's why BKLSBNKDELAWARE probably blacklisted me long ago, LOL...
Frequent Contributor
scientifics
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎05-01-2010
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

I don't think you need to contact them in advance (the only time I do that is if I'm traveling). Once they learn your spending patterns everything will be fine. It's scary how accurate they are with their fraud alerts, most of the time, even unusual purchases I make don't get flagged.

Established Contributor
chan85
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?


scientifics wrote:

I don't think you need to contact them in advance (the only time I do that is if I'm traveling). Once they learn your spending patterns everything will be fine. It's scary how accurate they are with their fraud alerts, most of the time, even unusual purchases I make don't get flagged.


+10000

 

I work in fraud for a bank and that's pretty much what we tell our customers. Even if you tell us in advance, theres little we can do prevent you from getting flagged since its not a person reviewing each charge and deciding if it should be approved. Its a computer, the banks pay people to come up with all these different strategies and formulas to determine what will be declined and what should be let go in a matter of seconds. We would rather call you after the fact to verify or have you call us after the decline, instead of you calling ahead of time, having false expectations, and then still have to speaks wit us after anyway.

WM TransUnion- 650 (6/2014) Credit Sesame Experian- 691 (6/2014) Credit Karma TransUnion- 665 (6/2014)
Amex Zync/UNICORN- NPSL/Capital One Venture One Pro -$7,000/NFCU Cash Rewards- $7,500/NFCU NavChek- $5,000/SouthWest Airlines- $5,000/Capital One Quicksilver Platinum- $3,000/Wal-Mart Discover- $6,000/Bill Me Later- $2,200/JCP- $4,700/Discover IT- $500/Care Credit -$2,300/Old Navy Visa- $2,000/New York & Company - $1,000/Capital One -$800
GOALS: No new inqs until 10/30/14. Pay off debt consolidation loan in less than 1 year. Snowball debt payments.
Last HP: 3/5/14
Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems
Posts: 358
Registered: ‎06-25-2012
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

Was flagged twice by Discover a while back after making late-night purchases. They can't seem to figure my spending out since I rotate my card usage.

Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

Last year, I was purchasing some $25 Amex gift cards and was flagged for fraud.  Had to call in and verify the purchase through an automated phone system.  Also happened once on my HSBC on a recurring charge I recently added on to the card.  Same thing, had to call and verify through the automated phone prompts. 

Valued Contributor
bs6054
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

Flagged twice by Cap One within a month for internet purchases:

 

1) Mobile top up with a UK provider.    Top-up of anonymous SIM cards is apparently a good way for thieves to see if a stolen card has been reported, like a small gas purchase late at night in the US

 

2) Purchase of (pet) medications from a UK supplier.

 

They don't like their cards being used out of a region, even with a travel notification.  (My daughters card got declined in the UK, even though she had told them, and they phoned here to talk to her, which didn't work very well.)  I would get a UK Cap One card if it were easy!

Established Contributor
chan85
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

[ Edited ]

bs6054 wrote:

Flagged twice by Cap One within a month for internet purchases:

 

1) Mobile top up with a UK provider.    Top-up of anonymous SIM cards is apparently a good way for thieves to see if a stolen card has been reported, like a small gas purchase late at night in the US

 

2) Purchase of (pet) medications from a UK supplier.

 

They don't like their cards being used out of a region, even with a travel notification.  (My daughters card got declined in the UK, even though she had told them, and they phoned here to talk to her, which didn't work very well.)  I would get a UK Cap One card if it were easy!


Charges out of the UK are very risky. About half the fraud I see on a daily basis comes from there. And we do the same thing, even when notified of travel, we still may block it just because its a high risk merchant or high risk location. Same with gas stations, charges out of FL, CA, GA, MI, or NY very high risk states and activity...

WM TransUnion- 650 (6/2014) Credit Sesame Experian- 691 (6/2014) Credit Karma TransUnion- 665 (6/2014)
Amex Zync/UNICORN- NPSL/Capital One Venture One Pro -$7,000/NFCU Cash Rewards- $7,500/NFCU NavChek- $5,000/SouthWest Airlines- $5,000/Capital One Quicksilver Platinum- $3,000/Wal-Mart Discover- $6,000/Bill Me Later- $2,200/JCP- $4,700/Discover IT- $500/Care Credit -$2,300/Old Navy Visa- $2,000/New York & Company - $1,000/Capital One -$800
GOALS: No new inqs until 10/30/14. Pay off debt consolidation loan in less than 1 year. Snowball debt payments.
Last HP: 3/5/14
Valued Contributor
bs6054
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?


chan85 wrote:

bs6054 wrote:

Flagged twice by Cap One within a month for internet purchases:

 

1) Mobile top up with a UK provider.    Top-up of anonymous SIM cards is apparently a good way for thieves to see if a stolen card has been reported, like a small gas purchase late at night in the US

 

2) Purchase of (pet) medications from a UK supplier.

 

They don't like their cards being used out of a region, even with a travel notification.  (My daughters card got declined in the UK, even though she had told them, and they phoned here to talk to her, which didn't work very well.)  I would get a UK Cap One card if it were easy!


Charges out of the UK are very risky. About half the fraud I see on a daily basis comes from there. And we do the same thing, even when notified of travel, we still may block it just because its a high risk merchant or high risk location. Same with gas stations, charges out of FL, CA, GA, MI, or NY very high risk states and activity...


Yes, with Chip&Pin everywhere, UK criminals have turned their attention to weaker targets, which is US-issued credit cards at present!

 

But those are some big states you have listed there!   Surely you don't query all charges from those places?

Established Contributor
chan85
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?


bs6054 wrote:

chan85 wrote:

bs6054 wrote:

Flagged twice by Cap One within a month for internet purchases:

 

1) Mobile top up with a UK provider.    Top-up of anonymous SIM cards is apparently a good way for thieves to see if a stolen card has been reported, like a small gas purchase late at night in the US

 

2) Purchase of (pet) medications from a UK supplier.

 

They don't like their cards being used out of a region, even with a travel notification.  (My daughters card got declined in the UK, even though she had told them, and they phoned here to talk to her, which didn't work very well.)  I would get a UK Cap One card if it were easy!


Charges out of the UK are very risky. About half the fraud I see on a daily basis comes from there. And we do the same thing, even when notified of travel, we still may block it just because its a high risk merchant or high risk location. Same with gas stations, charges out of FL, CA, GA, MI, or NY very high risk states and activity...


Yes, with Chip&Pin everywhere, UK criminals have turned their attention to weaker targets, which is US-issued credit cards at present!

 

But those are some big states you have listed there!   Surely you don't query all charges from those places?


Yeah we are fazing in the chip cards for some customers who travel frequently or request it, and its going to be standard issue for certain affinity cards that are aimed at travel i believe.

LOL No, we don't block all the charges (let some of our more dramatic customers tell it and we do though). What I look at it really only a pin drop of the transactions that come in to us as a whole. Plus they have figured out what merchants are more likley to be fraud in those areas. And if the cardholder doesn't live in those states and there are no signs of travel, then its mostly likely fraud. Lots of counterfeit cards running around in those states.  

WM TransUnion- 650 (6/2014) Credit Sesame Experian- 691 (6/2014) Credit Karma TransUnion- 665 (6/2014)
Amex Zync/UNICORN- NPSL/Capital One Venture One Pro -$7,000/NFCU Cash Rewards- $7,500/NFCU NavChek- $5,000/SouthWest Airlines- $5,000/Capital One Quicksilver Platinum- $3,000/Wal-Mart Discover- $6,000/Bill Me Later- $2,200/JCP- $4,700/Discover IT- $500/Care Credit -$2,300/Old Navy Visa- $2,000/New York & Company - $1,000/Capital One -$800
GOALS: No new inqs until 10/30/14. Pay off debt consolidation loan in less than 1 year. Snowball debt payments.
Last HP: 3/5/14

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}