cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Contacted/declined for susceptible fraud?

chan85:  little off-topic, but found this figure for the UK, do you have an equivalent US figure (couldn't find it!)

Card fraud losses as a proportion of the amount we spent on our cards decreases – from 0.066% during January to June 2011 to 0.063% during the first half of this year

According to The UK Cards Association, total fraud losses on UK cards totalled £185.0 million between January and June 2012. This is a 9 per cent increase on losses in the first half of last year (£169.8 million), but represents a fall of 39% from the total of £304.2 million in the first half of 2008 when fraud was at its peak.

Figures suggest fraudsters bypassing security safeguards by duping consumers into handing over their own details

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/wm_documents/2012%20half-year%20fraud%20figs%20press%20relea...

So, you have all the tech, but if a customer can be fooled......!

Message 11 of 14
chan85
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

chan85:  little off-topic, but found this figure for the UK, do you have an equivalent US figure (couldn't find it!)

Card fraud losses as a proportion of the amount we spent on our cards decreases – from 0.066% during January to June 2011 to 0.063% during the first half of this year

According to The UK Cards Association, total fraud losses on UK cards totalled £185.0 million between January and June 2012. This is a 9 per cent increase on losses in the first half of last year (£169.8 million), but represents a fall of 39% from the total of £304.2 million in the first half of 2008 when fraud was at its peak.

Figures suggest fraudsters bypassing security safeguards by duping consumers into handing over their own details

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/wm_documents/2012%20half-year%20fraud%20figs%20press%20relea...

So, you have all the tech, but if a customer can be fooled......!

I don't actually. I am most familiar with my own banks info, and even to find the exact figures on what types we catch the most I would have to dig. But it would not surprise me if it was similar information. I can't tell you how often I call people to just verify activity and they interrupt me and say what do you need from me, and start listing card number, expiration date, security codes. ssns, everything! And that's unprovoked! I get customers all the time who say they got a call from someone saying they have to refund them some money, just need all their card info, and then BAM! We have western union charges being attemtped all over the place.  Customers are their own worst enemies. If a box pops up on the computer or they get a call or letter, they just GIVE them the goat!!! And they are like they had my address so I thought it was ok, when half of them are listed in the white pages....... everybody has your address!

But I have a job, so can't complain too much..... Smiley Very Happy

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 12 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Discover did it three or four times after I went a few months without using the card.

When I used this mysterious thing called a debit card, PNC would ring if I didn't use it for a few days or a week and then charged somethng; it got annoying fast. Their credit card does not have the same issue.

First National Bank of Omaha did it when I first got the card and charged about 1500 at various online places.

Chase blocked a purchase they said was international; I was unaware the District of Columbia was out of the United States.

Macy's is somewhat weird in blocking transactions on the American Express account. They do not even ring me, I just find out it's blocked the next time I try to use it.

Citi questioned multiple Walgreens purchases of over $500 when I first got the card.

Barclays and FIA have never done anything and sometimes I make a single purchase up to the limit of the card.

I find it strange that some issuers let it go through before ringing, and some will not let it go through at all.

Message 13 of 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

I guess the real question is: how many donuts did you buy, GoldenloveNY??

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.