cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of Citi TYPref WMC to DC, while preserving true flexible spending limit WMC status?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Conversion of Citi TYPref WMC to DC, while preserving true flexible spending limit WMC status?

I have researched multiple past threads on this here on the forum, and from what I have come across, Citi DC WMC only has a true flexible spending limit if converted from a prior card that already had that feature.  My question is, if I request a conversion of my TYPref WMC (already has flexible spending limit status) to DC WMC, is there a chance it might come over after being converted to DC without being a flexible spending card?  If so, I think /I would rather forgo the rewards provided by a DC and keep the TYPref with the flexible spend benefit, as-is?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Conversion of Citi TYPref WMC to DC, while preserving true flexible spending limit WMC status?

@galahad15 wrote:

I have researched multiple past threads on this here on the forum, and from what I have come across, Citi DC WMC only has a true flexible spending limit if converted from a prior card that already had that feature.  My question is, if I request a conversion of my TYPref WMC (already has flexible spending limit status) to DC WMC, is there a chance it might come over after being converted to DC without being a flexible spending card?  If so, I think /I would rather forgo the rewards provided by a DC and keep the TYPref with the flexible spend benefit, as-is?

I did a PC from a TYP WMC to DC when the DC first came out, and my DC was, and is, a plain MC without the flexible spending designation.

Message 2 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Conversion of Citi TYPref WMC to DC, while preserving true flexible spending limit WMC status?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

I did a PC from a TYP WMC to DC when the DC first came out, and my DC was, and is, a plain MC without the flexible spending designation.

Even if you would have the same experience, you have to ask "So what?"    If the DC is more useful to you than the TYP (which is probably true for everyone) losing, or potentially losing the "status" level may well be worth it.

Message 3 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Even if you would have the same experience, you have to ask "So what?"    If the DC is more useful to you than the TYP (which is probably true for everyone) losing, or potentially losing the "status" level may well be worth it.

I agree, the flexible spend designation is really not that important...everyone has different priorities of course but the DC's flat 2% does beat the TYP's 2% on a few categories. They do occasionally run promos for the TYP with extra points on certain things, but obviously never guaranteed on recieving those promos.

If the DC is overall a better fit just go for it. As much as we all salivate over 'flexible spending", WEMC, and this and that, how many of us are actually utilizing the benefits?  I've never cared or wanted to go over a limit before.

Message 4 of 11
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would prefer to maintain true flexible spending WMC status in case I would hypothetically ever have to exceed my CL, without penalty, as this has happened before, on only a few rare occasions mind you though lol  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Some of us only want "Flexible Spending" because it looks way cooler than plain old "Credit Card". It has nothing to do with rewards or whether we'll actually use the feature or not. Unfortunately some people won't accept that. I, for one, can't stand seeing "Credit Card" next to my DC (supposedly) WMC on my CR--it's an eyesore.

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would prefer to maintain true flexible spending WMC status in case I would hypothetically ever have to exceed my CL, without penalty, as this has happened before, on only a few rare occasions mind you though lol  Smiley Happy

Everything else being equal, sure, but if the choice is flex spending on a reward-poor card, vs fixed CL on a better one, I would (and did, without knowing!) go for the better reward over flex spending.

Message 7 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Everything else being equal, sure, but if the choice is flex spending on a reward-poor card, vs fixed CL on a better one, I would (and did, without knowing!) go for the better reward over flex spending.

+1  and no one cares what it says next to a credit card or if it has a flexible spending limit. which is very little anyway.

Message 8 of 11
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1  and no one cares what it says next to a credit card or if it has a flexible spending limit. which is very little anyway.

Speak for yourself, pal...

Message 9 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Some of us only want "Flexible Spending" because it looks way cooler than plain old "Credit Card". It has nothing to do with rewards or whether we'll actually use the feature or not. Unfortunately some people won't accept that. I, for one, can't stand seeing "Credit Card" next to my DC (supposedly) WMC on my CR--it's an eyesore.

I accept it, I'm just stating that it puzzles me as to why it's important. Most people don't study their credit reports enough to even notice what it says next to their DC or care... I mean, what practical difference does it make in your daily life? None.

Whereas having a better rewards program may actually make more of a difference, albeit still not huge. But I think most people would worry more about enhanced perks vs something written next to the card on their report. However, we all have different priorities. I don't really give a fig whether it says "credit card" or "flexible spending credit card" etc because at the end of the day, they spend and do what I need to do.

However, to each their own, like anything else.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.