cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Capital One Secured to Unsecured?

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Convert Capital One Secured to Unsecured?

Is it possible to get capital one to convert my secured card to unsecured?  I would imagine it would require a credit pull (which i can handle).  I have 3k tied up on this secured card that i'm not using and would like to free that up for my home purchase.  Does anyone have any experience with this? 

If they want me to close and app for a new account I will prob just go with a different bank.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Convert Capital One Secured to Unsecured?

In all the time spent on this forum, I have never once seen a secured go unsecured. A $100 CLI most often, but never a direct PC. Cap one loves to have you close/re-app.

Message 2 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to app for another cap card, while having your secured card in use?

Message 3 of 22
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the middle of a mortgage process so i'm not interested in closing an account and opening a new one.  That would be 3 negatives on my credit and a red flag to the LO.

I can concede a credit inquiry for the switch but nothing else.

Message 4 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Stick with the home first, then deal with cards.

Message 5 of 22
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Stick with the home first, then deal with cards.

No offense but i'm not looking for advice.  I know what happens when a), b), and c) happen. 

I'm looking for someone with experience in attempting to convert a Capital One secured credit card to unsecured.  It doesn't have to be a successful experience, that's what i'd like to see.

Message 6 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Good luck.

Message 7 of 22
wonderandawe
Valued Member

I tried this last month and was told to open a new account.  Apparently there isn't much Capital One is willing to do with a Secure Card.  The most I got out of the EO office was waiving the AF.

myFICO Equifax - 675 (June 2013)
myFICO TransUnion - 700! (June 2013)
Credit Karma - 682 (June 2013)
Starting Score - 603 (December 2012)

In the garden since 6/7/2013
Message 8 of 22
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@wonderandawe wrote:

I tried this last month and was told to open a new account.  Apparently there isn't much Capital One is willing to do with a Secure Card.  The most I got out of the EO office was waiving the AF.

This is the type of response i'm looking for, thanks.

How many accounts do you have with Capital One?  If you don't mind me asking, what was your credit limit and did they do a credit pull at all before giving you that silly offer?

Message 9 of 22
YahComb
Established Contributor

someone on CB posted about the C1 EO doing a secured-unsecured graduation for them. Coulda been a troll post, coulda been confused. No confirmation from OP that i remember seeing so for now stick with conventional anecdotal experience from...pretty much everyone ever. No graduation. They've been "reviewing" their policy on that for god knows how long.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.