Established Member
Ancalagon

Convert Chase Sapphire Preferred to non-preferred

I have a CSP that I originally got for the sign up bonus. I don't need the extra perks that come from the Preferred version, and I don't want to pay an annual fee come October.

I don't want to close the account if possible, can it just be changed into a non preferred card without a new application?

Other thoughts?
Valued Contributor
bribro

Re: Convert Chase Sapphire Preferred to non-preferred

You should be able to PC without issue.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
matt00

Re: Convert Chase Sapphire Preferred to non-preferred

Ok I follow these forums all the time.and see these downgrade questions.  Chase sapphire preferred is an amazing card. It takes 9,500 a year without a single bonus point to nullify the annual fee. Chase is an awesome bank and has great products. The sapphire preferred is clearly focused on someone who would spend a minimum of 1,000 a month, but more like 25k plus a year. To rip them off, and yes that's what you and all churner's do, is wrong. You can have 20 cards with a 20k limit  on each but ill bet uve never got a call from any of them offering to waive those annual fees even before you ask. I wish chase, and all banks, would stipulate if u cancel or change within two years you owe the cost of the points back. 

Oh to answer your question.. After one year you can product change. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}