Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Old Amex Blue for Students to Blue Cash Preferred Question -- Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Convert Old Amex Blue for Students to Blue Cash Preferred Question -- Help

Hi.  This is my first actual post to these forums even though I have read them for quite some time.  I hope this question is posted in the right place.  I have an old Amex Blue for Students card that is 10 years old.  I wanted to convert it to the Blue Cash Preferred card keeping the same account number, history, etc.  I was told today by two separate reps that the Blue for Students card could only be converted to the Amex Everyday.  I would have to apply for the Blue Cash Preferred card.  The reason was that these cards have different rewards structures and a card cannot be converted to a card with a different rewards structure.  One rep even told me this was due to federal regulations.  I just wanted to double check with the collective wisdom of this board as to how accurate this seemed.  I appreciate any help and guidance you all may provide.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Convert Old Amex Blue for Students to Blue Cash Preferred Question -- Help

That seems correct for Amex

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. It does raise a few more questions for me though

(1) if I applied for the BCP and got a new card then closed my old Blue for Students, I've heard AMEX backdates your Member Since Date. Would this apply to my credit report as well if I subsequently closed my old card?

(2) What would happen to my membership rewards I currently have on the Blue for Students since I would close the account, but would still be an AMEX member?

I want a card that I don't have to play games with as far as rewards go, and I am averse to the idea of having multiple credit cards. And insights would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

(1) if I applied for the BCP and got a new card then closed my old Blue for Students, I've heard AMEX backdates your Member Since Date. Would this apply to my credit report as well if I subsequently closed my old card?

(2) What would happen to my membership rewards I currently have on the Blue for Students since I would close the account, but would still be an AMEX member?

I want a card that I don't have to play games with as far as rewards go, and I am averse to the idea of having multiple credit cards. And insights would be appreciated.

(1) Yes, AMEX will backdate your new BCP from when you opened the Blue for Students.

(2) You will lose the MR rewards, unless you open up another AMEX that will be able to hold the MR rewards (such as that Everyday, or perhaps a charge card). The BCP is a cash back card and does not utilize MR rewards.

Hope that helps!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

(1) if I applied for the BCP and got a new card then closed my old Blue for Students, I've heard AMEX backdates your Member Since Date. Would this apply to my credit report as well if I subsequently closed my old card? - Yes, your new card will show your original MSD and report to the CRAs that way.

(2) What would happen to my membership rewards I currently have on the Blue for Students since I would close the account, but would still be an AMEX member? - You need to have a MR points card or charge card open

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

(1) Yes, AMEX will backdate your new BCP from when you opened the Blue for Students.

(2) You will lose the MR rewards, unless you open up another AMEX that will be able to hold the MR rewards (such as that Everyday, or perhaps a charge card). The BCP is a cash back card and does not utilize MR rewards.

Hope that helps!

Fond out out you're right 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.