Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted Chase Freedom from VISA to MC

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Converted Chase Freedom from VISA to MC

Called in today to do the conversion, a rep told me it was possible when I opened the account up but I had to wait 30 days. Should get it in 2 weeks they said.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in converting.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Converted Chase Freedom from VISA to MC

I'm more interested in whether this will result a new TL or not.

Message 2 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

It should not, they didn't do any HP should just be a different account #

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

It shouldn't result in any effect on your credit.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 13
Datx
Valued Contributor

How does that work exactly? Since the conversion requires a new account number, does Chase just then updates the existing tradeline info with the new account number? I'd would like to convert also, since I have more VISAs then I do MCs. But don't want to risk having a new account being reported.

The reason why I ask this is because some CC companies issue new account numbers for lost/stolen cards, and report as a new account. So...what would be the difference between the conversion metioned above, compared to a lost/stolen card. Na'mean?

Message 5 of 13
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Tradeline should remain the same, history, cl, etc.  They are just changing brand from Visa to MC prefixes.  Everything else should remain intact.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 6 of 13
YahComb
Established Contributor

Why i made sure to apply for the sapphre and freedom through the mastercard site. Everybody promotes Visa versions mainly on their sites, since i knew i was going to be closing my cap1 secured soon and never really using the paypal MC might as well get something i want to use as a MC.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 7 of 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

what are the pros of switching over? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@OlegWasHere wrote:

what are the pros of switching over? 

The only pro for me was I have only one MC and thats in litle iddy biddy pieces on the bottom of my shredder can (Cap1), and I have 3 Visa's so I need a good rewards MC.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 13
tburns
Regular Contributor

A actually did this last week myself. Had the Freedom since last May. No Hard Pull, no new TL according to the rep on the phone. Only thing that will change is the card itself and account number.

Already have 2 Freedom numbers under my online accounts, both with the same history/balance etc. Was told once I activate the MC version the Visa will be deactivated and I can shred it.

I did this since I was intending to close my BBRZMC and Cap 1 soon so I would lose both my MC's.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.