Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting Credit Cards

Has anyone had success with converting a card from one lender into another card of the same lender.  For example I would like to convert an old Chase Card into a Chase Freedom - would I have any success here>  Also - does this result in a pull?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Converting Credit Cards

Hi CreditCard and welcome to the forums

This is what you call a product change and yes you can do it if you are eligible.

Some cards can not convert to another card but if it is just a regular chase card, i think you are good to go.

Definitely call up chasse and ask them to do a product change from your old to the freedom. There have been many success stories in doing this.

Also, it is not a hard pull on your report.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Chase is actually pretty good about doing PCs on their CCs. If the first CSR says no, call back and speak with a different one.

When I applied for Chase Freedom, they sent me the signature card (NPSL). I called and they were more than happy to convert it to regular Chase Freedom. 

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The response time around here is awesome.

Follow-up question(s).

- Has anyone ever detailed the optimal reward card(s) by lender.  For example: Chase and WaMu, Discover, BOA make up the bulk of my CC portfolio and I have sockdrawered cards with all.  Should I be attempting to convert them (as I want to do with the Chase) into something better and does anyone have opinions on the best card by lender - say without any annual fee?

- Also - do you know what would happen with reward points.  I have say 500 amazon points on a Chase (needing 2500 to do any good).  Any chance of getting them converted?

Message 4 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Follow-up question(s).

- Has anyone ever detailed the optimal reward card(s) by lender.  For example: Chase and WaMu, Discover, BOA make up the bulk of my CC portfolio and I have sockdrawered cards with all.  Should I be attempting to convert them (as I want to do with the Chase) into something better and does anyone have opinions on the best card by lender - say without any annual fee?

- Also - do you know what would happen with reward points.  I have say 500 amazon points on a Chase (needing 2500 to do any good).  Any chance of getting them converted?

I have no clue about the points, but I'd imagine it varies by lender.

The following list is my personal favorite CCs from each lender you mentioned, but it's likely to vary for everyone individually. 

Chase - Freedom

BOA - Accelerated Cash Rewards Amex (1.25% back on all purchases)

Discover - Open Road (5% back on gas each month plus all of ShopDiscover.com)

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase will cash in your rewards and then do the product change for you.
Message 6 of 8
Equinox
New Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Follow-up question(s).

I have no clue about the points, but I'd imagine it varies by lender.

The following list is my personal favorite CCs from each lender you mentioned, but it's likely to vary for everyone individually. 

Chase - Freedom

BOA - Accelerated Cash Rewards Amex (1.25% back on all purchases)

Discover - Open Road (5% back on gas each month plus all of ShopDiscover.com)

I have the BOA - Accelerated Cash Rewards Amex and I love it. They also have an area where you can clickthrough from BofA and get more than 1.25% back in different stores. It's a blast. Definitely recommend it. I do recall someone around here was able to get a product change to it.

Message 7 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Equinox wrote:

I do recall someone around here was able to get a product change to it.

Me!

Here we go again...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.