Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 21 of 29
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Converting amex card?!?!?

Argh. I regret missing this thread earlier. 

Unless you travel alone the Reserve is going to disappoint. Starting soon (now I think) you only get solo access to Skyclubs. So no additional guest for free, and that is a bummer to me as a Reserve cardmember traveling with my DW. I can get her in for $29. You will get access to Economy Comfort seat no fee once ticket booked. You have first bag free to you and travelers on your reservation. 

You earn 15K MQM and Miles once you spend $30K and then the same at $60K. Perhaps the best perk of the card if you value Delta status. 

It offers a companion pass (good up to first class with same ticket purchased) but only after the AF hits the second year. Not a bad redeemable perk. 

I would have advised you to apply for the business version as a new product and close the Delta Gold once approved. Same perks plus you would have gotten a mile and MQM bonus at signup. By product changing you have now eliminated yourself from ever getting the bonus for the personal Reserve ever as you now have that product.

Lounge access would have been better with the Amex Platinum charge seeing you already have that card. Adding an AU is cheaper and the perks spill over. Global Entry reimbursable with Platinum charge not on the Reserve. Bags reimbursable up to $200 per calendar year. 

Sorry to be a bummer, but congrats with the card. If it's all you want and it was easier and no HP then it was a good decision. 

Message 22 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@scenery_guy wrote:

Unless you travel alone the Reserve is going to disappoint. Starting soon (now I think) you only get solo access to Skyclubs. So no additional guest for free, and that is a bummer to me as a Reserve cardmember traveling with my DW. I can get her in for $29. You will get access to Economy Comfort seat no fee once ticket booked. You have first bag free to you and travelers on your reservation. 

You earn 15K MQM and Miles once you spend $30K and then the same at $60K. Perhaps the best perk of the card if you value Delta status. 

It offers a companion pass (good up to first class with same ticket purchased) but only after the AF hits the second year. Not a bad redeemable perk. 

I would have advised you to apply for the business version as a new product and close the Delta Gold once approved. Same perks plus you would have gotten a mile and MQM bonus at signup. By product changing you have now eliminated yourself from ever getting the bonus for the personal Reserve ever as you now have that product.

Lounge access would have been better with the Amex Platinum charge seeing you already have that card. Adding an AU is cheaper and the perks spill over. Global Entry reimbursable with Platinum charge not on the Reserve. Bags reimbursable up to $200 per calendar year. 

Sorry to be a bummer, but congrats with the card. If it's all you want and it was easier and no HP then it was a good decision. 

I agree. I was trying to figure out the benefit of using this card over the others for OPs trip and PC and unless you are flying Delta -can't think of one perk.  

Seriously rethinking closing our Delta Amex after the annual fee hits in July. 

Message 23 of 29
mariasoccermom11
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

I agree. I was trying to figure out the benefit of using this card over the others for OPs trip and PC and unless you are flying Delta -can't think of one perk.  

yes all 6 of us are flying first class to italy so the card is coming in handy

Message 24 of 29
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Well then spend away on the tickets on the card for 2x miles per dollar spent, that should be a big boost towards your $30K bump for MQM and Miles spending bonus. Free bags don't matter as you will get 3 per first class ticket. It's still a great card to earn redeemable miles and will be a good head start for you to earn Platinum Medallion this year. 

Message 25 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@scenery_guy wrote:

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Well then spend away on the tickets on the card for 2x miles per dollar spent, that should be a big boost towards your $30K bump for MQM and Miles spending bonus. Free bags don't matter as you will get 3 per first class ticket. It's still a great card to earn redeemable miles and will be a good head start for you to earn Platinum Medallion this year. 

OP,

Did you get your tickets already? I thought I remembered you getting them to satisfy a spend requirement....could be wrong though

If not, that would be a great boost to your MQM/miles!

Message 26 of 29
alvon123
Super Contributor

@mariasoccermom11 wrote:

APPROVVEEDDDD!!!! I simply gave my info and said if there is an option to upgrade to the delta reserve sent it to me LOL. her response was "you will be receving your new card in 7-10 business days is there anything else i can help with" So excited this card will be great for the trip to italy...

congrats

Message 27 of 29
mariasoccermom11
Contributor

Lex I put them on when it was gold but my miles will transfer
Message 28 of 29
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

That is so modest of you Smiley Wink

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.