Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Product (RED) AmEx Card

tag
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Cool Product (RED) AmEx Card

In the UK, AmEx issues a Product (RED) credit card that donates 1% of the total amount you make in purchases. Sure, the Costco AmEx has better rewards and you could just donate 1% of the total amount you make in purchases on your own, but it definitely doesn't look as cool as the Product (RED) card...

http://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/int/gb/en/personal/chooseacard/allcards/americanexpres...

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Cool Product (RED) AmEx Card

I'll pass. 1) It is a UK card. If AMEX does not issue it here how on earth would I get it. 2) It says the typical APR is 18.9%. They have to be kidding.
Message 2 of 30
jaybird201
Established Contributor

I wasn't suggesting someone get it (unless they're in the UK)...I was suggesting it was a cool product.
Message 3 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Cool like the Prius, it's good for those that like to feel good about their altruistic self, or what others feel about them.  There is a market for those types of folks, but a financial product should be judged on what it does for the cardholder.  Let the feely good aspects of giving a miniscule 1% to African charity be a distant second as to whether this card makes sense. 
Message 4 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@jaybird201 wrote:
I wasn't suggesting someone get it (unless they're in the UK)...I was suggesting it was a cool product.

Cool like the Prius or CFL's (light bulbs), they are good for those that like to feel good about their altruistic self, or what others feel about them.  There is a market for those types of folks, but a financial product should be judged on what it does for the cardholder.  Let the feely good aspects of giving a miniscule 1% to African charity be a distant second as to whether this card makes sense. 
Message 5 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@jaybird201 wrote:

Unfortunately the myFICO products and forum only apply to US based persons. (Not even Candians!)
Message 6 of 30
cobra19
Valued Contributor

What does a "cool product" mean, exactly?

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 7 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@cobra19 wrote:

What does a "cool product" mean, exactly?

@jaybird201 wrote:

In the UK, AmEx issues a Product (RED) credit card that donates 1% of the total amount you make in purchases. Sure, the Costco AmEx has better rewards and you could just donate 1% of the total amount you make in purchases on your own, but it definitely doesn't look as cool as the Product (RED) card...

Me thinks the colour <-------.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-13-2009 03:20 PM
Message 8 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

"Cool" is an opinion, not a fact. Already this thread shows signs of getting argumentative over such irrelevant issues as hybrid vehicles and directed charitable giving.

The card is an interesting twist on the rewards concept, I guess. Just because it doesn't float your particular boat doesn't mean that a dismissive post is required. We have other members whose cards support guide dog programs for the blind, and breast cancer research programs.

This "your" is not directed at a specific post, btw, just the overall tone and downhill direction.

There are a lot of us getting sick and tired of the endless wrangling over silly stuff here on the CC boards, thus my Monday crankiness.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 30
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Haha, won't comment on the above except to say that a red AmEx looks way awesome.

*gets into fetal position preparing for disagreement* 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.