Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coping with Nerfed Rewards & Keeping up AAoA

tag
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: Coping with Nerfed Rewards & Keeping up AAoA

@wiivile wrote:

For example, I want to apply for the Citi Double Cash, but I'm sure it will be nerfed because 2% on everything with no annual fee and no cap just seems too good to be true for me (even though the Fidelity card already exists, it requires a Fidelity account which is a small 'catch').

The Double Cash card is only a 2% card when you pay off your balances, otherwise it's only 1%.  They were smart to build that little catch into the structure so those that are prone to carry a balance will end up seeing smaller/slower rewards return.  It's similar to BOA's Better Balance Rewards card in that you're essentially being rewarded for paying your bill.  I presume that since not all of the cardholders will be getting 2% back they will be able to sustain this card for awhile without nerfing it.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
Luscher
Valued Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

Is AMEX the only one that does backdating? I generally don't like AMEX, because it doesn't work well overseas and even here in the U.S., lots of places don't take it.

AMEX is accepted at over 4.5 million merchants and over 100 countries. 

CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 12 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@celluloid17 wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

For example, I want to apply for the Citi Double Cash, but I'm sure it will be nerfed because 2% on everything with no annual fee and no cap just seems too good to be true for me (even though the Fidelity card already exists, it requires a Fidelity account which is a small 'catch').

The Double Cash card is only a 2% card when you pay off your balances, otherwise it's only 1%.  They were smart to build that little catch into the structure so those that are prone to carry a balance will end up seeing smaller/slower rewards return.  It's similar to BOA's Better Balance Rewards card in that you're essentially being rewarded for paying your bill.  I presume that since not all of the cardholders will be getting 2% back they will be able to sustain this card for awhile without nerfing it.  Smiley Happy

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 14
Chris679
Established Contributor

Here's my strategy: make all credit decisions based on what will make/save me the most money. Any short term drop in AAoA also creates a thicker file that in the long run will help resist that very same thing. Never let your credit score cost you money, I cannot repeat that mantra enough.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.