Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporate AMEX Late pays - impact to AMEX personal history

tag
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

Corporate AMEX Late pays - impact to AMEX personal history

Hey all:

I searched the boards but didn't see this specific question come up.

I have an Amex corporate card through my employer in my name.  As is per the norm no record of the card hits my personal CRs.

That being said, over the years there have been a few late pays due to delays  with the group that pays AMEX on my behalf (upon Expense report approval).

Although these late pays don't hit my CRs, would they be recorded against my history with Amex in terms of applying for a personal card?

I'll be at a point in my repair journey that I'll have no baddies other than a +2 year old 60 day late in August of this year. I want to start building a relationship with the PRG and predicting my scores will be in the 700-720 range by then.

Thanks in advance oh wise ones! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Corporate AMEX Late pays - impact to AMEX personal history

I wouldn't think so, since it's a corporate card and theoretically you'd only be an AU on the corporate account, and AUs aren't on the hook for the charges; the company is. But perhaps someone else could chime in.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

I can say with some anecdotal experience that the lates on your corporate card will not impact your personoal new card request.  Meaning, I just received a personal card while having corp "lates" (processing issues).

What IS interesting is they will ask you/prompt you to list your corp card on your personal card web portal.  So they do "know" about you as an individual.

Again, YMMV, but I just went through your EXACT question and was approved with marginal scores and late corp payments....

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 3 of 7
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

I can say with some anecdotal experience that the lates on your corporate card will not impact your personoal new card request.  Meaning, I just received a personal card while having corp "lates" (processing issues).

What IS interesting is they will ask you/prompt you to list your corp card on your personal card web portal.  So they do "know" about you as an individual.

Again, YMMV, but I just went through your EXACT question and was approved with marginal scores and late corp payments....

@Anonymous @BallBounces ...can you comment on your scores and/or what card you apped for?   Thanks in advance!

Message 4 of 7
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

My scores look to be very close to yours.  At the point in time of app, 660 - 680 probably.  I am assuming they will trend down for a few months while the inquiries hurt, AAoA is reduced, and time passes for the new lines to report and help with utilization.   If I recall, Amex shows you your last two SPs after you are approved?   Stand by I will go check.

Minutes pass.

Tick Tock.

NOV 662.  DEC 667.    EX   FICO 08 according to Amex.  EX is 20 ish points lower than my others.

I applied for the BCP and was immediately approved for 5K.  The next day I apped for the Amex HH card, received the 14 day message, and was approved several days later at only 2K.   I have a thick, but dirty file, allthough I have never harmed Amex and many years ago had a very high, paid in full, balance.  They likely view  my history with them as positive.

Lastly, on the corporate thing, I am certain there are unique agreements with various corporate customers.  I can only vouch for mine and my experience, hence the YMMV in my original post.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

You'll be fine.  Smiley Wink

When I had my corporate Amex, I was working for a Fortune 100 company that went through an accounting update and many corporate cards were paid late - and employees were apparently raising 'heck' big time; bad enough that they sent out a company-wide email "reminding" everybody that the corporate Amex accounts never impacted personal credit, and there was nothing to be concerned about (and no reason to bombard the accounting folks).  It was also occasionally an issue if someone was traveling for more than a couple of weeks, and had to wait for the trip to be over before submitting their voucher (depending on their card's billing date).

The 'fine print' on the portal assigned to my company stated that once the account was 30 days late that new charges could be declined (this happened more than once to folks in my own group) and that after 90 days of non-payment the balance would be charged to the organization and the account simply closed; so even then, nothing 'negative' happened since they got their money.

That being said, they definitely know if you have other cards when you call about your corporate card... our portal stated that in the event that the corporate card was used by "mistake' instead of a personal card, you could call the corporate card number and they had the ability to actually move a charge from your corporate card over to your personal card.  I never knew of anybody who had to do this, but it was reassuring since personal use of the corporate card - even if you PIF right away - was one of the few things that was grounds for immediate termination.

Message 6 of 7
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

My scores look to be very close to yours.  At the point in time of app, 660 - 680 probably.  I am assuming they will trend down for a few months while the inquiries hurt, AAoA is reduced, and time passes for the new lines to report and help with utilization.   If I recall, Amex shows you your last two SPs after you are approved?   Stand by I will go check.

I applied for the BCP and was immediately approved for 5K.  The next day I apped for the Amex HH card, received the 14 day message, and was approved several days later at only 2K.   I have a thick, but dirty file, allthough I have never harmed Amex and many years ago had a very high, paid in full, balance.  They likely view  my history with them as positive.

Thanks again! Your success on the BCP is encouraging.  I might go for that instead as I'll be in it for the long haul with that card. I'd likely cancel the PRG after a few years given the AF and most of my personal travel is paid for using my corp miles Smiley Wink.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.