Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporate AMEX can I be denied??

tag
turts14
Regular Contributor

Corporate AMEX can I be denied??

I have started a new job and they are going to add me and get me my own corporate AMEX card.  My credit is approx 640 will they pull my credit? Can I be denied even though they have existing accounts and I am just being added?  

Also wil this report on my credit report?

Thank you all  

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Corporate AMEX can I be denied??

@turts14 wrote:

I have started a new job and they are going to add me and get me my own corporate AMEX card.  My credit is approx 640 will they pull my credit? Can I be denied even though they have existing accounts and I am just being added?  

Also wil this report on my credit report?

Thank you all  

I have heard of people reporting that they have been declined, but it is sometimes due to being blacklisted by AMEX for prior unpaid CO accounts.     Sometimes companies have the option to obtain a different type of Corp Card, like a direct paid card or something similar, if AMEX declines to open an account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 21
turts14
Regular Contributor

I beleive it is all under one account just another card with another name on it?  

Message 3 of 21
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@turts14 wrote:

I beleive it is all under one account just another card with another name on it?  

It varies by company ~ sometimes companies may just add you as an authorized user to an existing account.......other times you have to apply for your own account thru AMEX.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 21
turts14
Regular Contributor

I am 95% certain that I would just be added to the account as an authorized user and given a card with my name on it.  In that case sounds like I will be just fine right? 

Thank you all again! 

Message 5 of 21
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I believe as long as you haven't burned AMEX in the past, you're good.

I was added to a Small Business account in 2009 when my credit was worse...the system did ask for my SSN but my credit wasn't even pulled. I'm sure the SSN is just required to make sure you aren't on AMEX's naughty list.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 21
Comet21
Regular Contributor

My wife just joined a very big Energy company that we would all recognize and they provided her a company Amex. We included Amex in our Ch. 7 BK. 

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 21
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

When I started a new job in 2007, I had an active bk on all CR's.  I have to travel out of the country a lot so the AMEX was needed since I didn't have any credit cards.  I bit my nails waiting for the approval, but it wasn't even an issue.  I beleive like someone else said, that I was just added on as an AU.  I still have the card and I have never had an issue with making any transactions.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 8 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

I beleive Corp AMEX is like being put on the main company account as an AU.

I have one and got one when my credit was not great at all.

Message 9 of 21
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Even if you have to apply for your own card, the standards are probably more lax.  I had to apply for a corporate Diner's Club card at my last job.  I don't know what my scores were at the time, but if I had to estimate, they were mid-500s.  I was initially denied due to delinquent accounts.  I had 7 accounts that had gone between 90 and 150 days late, but I had brought them all current.  I wrote a recon letter pointing out that while I had several late payments, it was due to a period of unemployment and all accounts were now current.  They gave me the card.  And this was in early 2009.  I'd think you'd be fine for a corporate Amex with a 640.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.