cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporate Card Reporting on Personal CRs.

tag
andre181
Established Contributor

Corporate Card Reporting on Personal CRs.

So about 7 weeks ago I started an amazing new job with a Fortune 200 company that requires semi-frequent travel (3-4 days per month). Being that I'll be travelling a lot, I was issued a business and travel card from the company. Its a visa signature card (according to the logo on the card) issued by US Bank. I got the card approximately 4 weeks ago. When it was issued, I was not informed of any credit limit, and I assumed there wasn't one. 

I just came back from a trip to California and used the card for all travel expenses as per our travel policy. The first statement just generated (the statements are mailed to my home). Like I usually do, I checked my EX CR daily and see that my card has begun to report on my personal CR. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be figured in to my FICO or util in anyway. See why below. 

Card info according to CR: Open date 9/2013, Balance $1123, Revolving Credit limit: $50,000, High balance: $1123. The comments related to this account on my CR say "Flexible Spending Card. Corporate account/Not personally liable for this debt"

I totally wish that this TL was factored into my util just for that awesome CL. But I know that will never happen. But I can dream...

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Corporate Card Reporting on Personal CRs.

Hah, that's unfortunate, though are you certain the utilization is not counted?  Flexible spending accounts are typically, though admittedly I'm not sure with on the notation if it's coded differently.

There are a lot of business accounts which report to personal credit though, it's actually a fairly problematic issue when trying to build credit for an actual business entity.

        
Message 2 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

LOL I wish mine did too, I am glad though that my personal Amex Backdated to my corporate card date...

Message 3 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

There are a lot of business accounts which report to personal credit though, it's actually a fairly problematic issue when trying to build credit for an actual business entity.

Well US Bank business credit cards do not report to personal, so I wonder why they let the corporate ones report. I wouldn't be too pleased if the card was ever maxed out and reported.

Message 4 of 8
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Revelate (and all) I have a similar question-

I am in the same boat, new job with one of the big 5 consulting firms and they give us an Amex Gold. Ours I hear DOES report to our personal CR. I am about to app and I just had the thought..

Should I want until next month when my credit score jumps up due to CLI on several of my cards, or do they approve for the same amount no matter what your score is since it's through the company?
Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@loviedovie wrote:
Revelate (and all) I have a similar question-

I am in the same boat, new job with one of the big 5 consulting firms and they give us an Amex Gold. Ours I hear DOES report to our personal CR. I am about to app and I just had the thought..

Should I want until next month when my credit score jumps up due to CLI on several of my cards, or do they approve for the same amount no matter what your score is since it's through the company?

Amex charge cards are close to unique: the limit is set internally and pretty much anything goes with what Amex decides.  I played with the monkey button a bit once I got my Zync and my internal limit went from something like 2K to 5K to 10K in the span of 70ish days.  That limit is not reported anywhere, and under modern FICO versions your utilization isn't counted though it is (maybe for a corporate card) counted as another tradeline with balance.

I really wouldn't worry about it, Amex will know roughly based on the corporate history how much you'll likely be spending and your initial internal limit will be more than sufficient to cover that, and will be more than happy to cover it.  Any of the big 5 (how many are left, 4? Smiley Happy) will have long established histories with Amex it won't be a problem.

If you ever have a problem where a charge won't go through, just call them and I expect it'll be taken care of immediately.  Go get it setup as soon as possible such that you don't have to float your expenses on your personal accounts any longer than necessary... in your case the card is likely mandatory for compliance reasons as your travel is going to get billed to your clients almost assuredly and that's a primary record for your billing department I would expect, and the last thing you want is to be potentially sitting on the sidelines impacting your utilization percentage by not having the corporate card setup, or having to fill out horrendously awkward forms like I do for my travel reimbursement (though I do get rewards / spend boost with this route).

        
Message 6 of 8
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Wow, thanks Revelate! You are the best!

I remember taking your advice a year ago when apping for my first ever card and now my scores have broken 700 and I feel like a big girl Smiley Wink
Also- CONGRATS!! I see you have met your goal scores below- well ahead of time for the year! WTG!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@loviedovie wrote:
Wow, thanks Revelate! You are the best!

I remember taking your advice a year ago when apping for my first ever card and now my scores have broken 700 and I feel like a big girl Smiley Wink
Also- CONGRATS!! I see you have met your goal scores below- well ahead of time for the year! WTG!! Smiley Happy

Hah, I remember that, your name is unforgettable.  Congrats to you as well for the progress you've made and for your new gig: I'm not quite there on the score I really care about for my theoretical mortgage (the EQ Beacon 5 listed in my sig) but I'm pleased to know I can qualify for most of the credit products I want otherwise... it is a very good feeling to be a credit "adult" indeed Smiley Happy.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.