cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct Way to Close First Premier Card Help !

tag
Hollywood80
New Contributor

Correct Way to Close First Premier Card Help !

The day has finally dawned upon me Smiley Very Happy !!! I will be closing my first premier card today and Ive heard major horror story's. 

Just got off the phone with service rep and I see exactly why. She instantly tried to sell me into keeping the card in which I kept denying. Then she proceeded to badger me with pointless incentives in which I again denied. I had a $6 balance and she got an attitude with me saying "I guess that 6 bucks is really hurting you huh." After that, I almost post my professionalism but I kept my cool. I asked for account balance removed and $0 balance closed at customers request sent to my address. We'll see what moves they try to pull from here. I am grateful of this card as it has served its purpose for 6 years. Now I have my gardening gloves on so I it makes total since to get rid of the thing. Also, the rep tried to talk about AAOA and credit help with high debt balances. I wanted to say "I've been a myfico.com forum member for years now lady, so save the drama for yo mama!" ha.... 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Re: Correct Way to Close First Premier Card Help !

Horrible, what a joke that she said that, good for not getting irritated. The card served you well.

Message 2 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh, wow, if someone said that to me, I would... I would...

Actually, I don't know what I would have said, but I don't think it would have been very nice.

So First Preemie customer service reps seem to be cross-training as collectors now. Smiley Very Happy

Congratulations for movin' on up!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 11
texasman07
Established Contributor

Hey sorry to hear that. i closed my first premier last month with no trouble at all. I actually over paid my last payment to cover any cost. 5 dollars only so I had a credit. When I called to close it the rep asked why, i said cuz i have cards with rewards and no annual fees or monthly services charges.  She said, okay makes sense. She then politely said, well if you want we can give you 6 dollar annual fee for the next year. I said no. She politely said okay your account is closed.  I logged on line to see my balance and its all zeros.  I do have a second first premier card that im closing this month.  They applied the 5 dollar crredit to that account and also refunded the 6 dollar monthly service charge to give me a payment of 11 dollars on my second fp card.  I guess its all about who you get on the phone. It hasnt reported yet to my CRA's but we will see. Good Luck

Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'm going to properly close my card Monday.

And I got my popcorn ready.........

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

when it was time to close mine, i just emailed them & told them to close it Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I'm going to properly close my card Monday.

And I got my popcorn ready.........

Did you shred it already?

When I closed my Cap one rebuilder with $500 CL, I kept the card as a reminder of where I was and where I never want to be ever again.

Message 7 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on dumping FP !!!! They are truly one of the worst CCs, I'm glad that you saw through their laughable attempt to keep your business.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did it work by just sending an email? I finally make the decision of closing my fpb cc.... but to tell you truth am horrofiend for the things am reading. I need all the encouragement I could get.
Message 9 of 11
starry1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did it work by just sending an email? I finally make the decision of closing my fpb cc.... but to tell you truth am horrofiend for the things am reading. I need all the encouragement I could get.

This is an old thread you're  asking on.  I closed my 1stP earlier this year and they did give me a long spiel trying to get me to keep the card, even a couple of lies about how it would hurt my credit.  You already know what's  going to happen, so just tough it out and get er done.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.