Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cosigner for Discover.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cosigner for Discover.

I just applied for the Discover IT card because i was "Pre-Approved" I got the (We've got your application, but it's still being processed. Once we have a decision you'll be notified in 5-7 days).   So I called to speed up the process and was denied by myself, but asked to have a cosigner.  I have never heard of this.  Is it anything I can do to get one by myself?

Im 27

TU - 698

EQ - 654

EX - 644

Barclays $1300, Cap 1 QS $500, Cap 1 Classic $1300, Paypal Extras $3000, Walmart $1200, Discover (AU) $1000

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nax
Regular Contributor

Re: Cosigner for Discover.

I appt last month an got the same message, talked to them and was told I have too much new credit vs my income ($55k) I've decided I want an Amex more than Discover Nd I won't waste a HP on them again. 

Message 2 of 8
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Basically all you can do is improve your profile and apply again or have some co-sign the card with you. What were the reasons for denial?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I am not sure if it is an option, but you could ask for a secured card.

Message 4 of 8
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

Hate to be the bearer of bad news and of course YMMV, but I had to end up co-signing for my sister b/c they refused to give her one on her own even after calling in several different times over a period of 1 week.  So from my experience when they indicate a co signer is needed it seems to be set in stone, but of course nothing ever really is and you have nothing to loose by calling into recon again, and again, and again! lol  My sister probably called about 15-20 times total over that week trying to persuade them  to give her her own credit.  The good part is though, unlike just being an AU on someone else's account when you have a co signer it is YOUR account and they are just back up protection in the event you go south with your payments.  They're kind of using your co signer as collateral so to speakSmiley Happy   Good Luck!

Message 5 of 8
pip3man
Valued Contributor

In my experience I applied for the IT first time with an $18 charge off from a BOA credit card. They said I needed a cosigner, tried several times to get them to only consider my credit but that was a dead-end.3 weeks later, the charge off was deleted from my files and I reapplied. BAM got approved for $1500 with 15 months 0% APR.

Message 6 of 8
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

If they offered a cosigner, they will most likely approve you with one. However, as stated before, calling to recon a couple of times with different analysts should be 1st option.

I hope they approve you, gl!

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 8
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

I got this same response the first time I applied.  I contacted the EO who walked my app to underwriting and tried to get it manually approved without a co-signer.  Underwriting said, "No."  I waited 3 months to let some of my newer accounts age and show positive history, applied again and was approved.

Give it some time, work on whatever they say is the cause the for the denial and chances are they'll approve you.

EDIT:  Oh and because it wasn't a borderline approval when they did finally approve it, I got some decent terms include 15 months no interest.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.