Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cosigners on Credit Cards

tag
TonyaLynn
New Contributor

Cosigners on Credit Cards

Me and Hubby are working on rebuilding his credit and I am reading a book about rebuilding credit and it suggests if you can't get approved for a credit card use a cosigner, what are you suggestions on this and if this is possible after say a few months is there anyway to have the cosigner removed so its solely in my hubby's name? Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Cosigners on Credit Cards

My guess is that it may be difficult to get a cosigner removed that quickly. After all the cosigner is the one who the creditor is trusting to pay the debt.

If you are 21 or over, I think Individual accounts and secured credit cards are a much better option.

Message 2 of 6
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Try adding him as an authorized user.  After his score is high enough he can get his own credit products.  And the authorized user is easily removed if circumstances warrant it.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
TonyaLynn
New Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

Try adding him as an authorized user.  After his score is high enough he can get his own credit products.  And the authorized user is easily removed if circumstances warrant it.

And with being an AU does he need to use the card to build his credit, or can the card be put up and the history, present and future of the card without him using build his credit up? Thanks

Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@TonyaLynn wrote:

@Itsmeagain wrote:

And with being an AU does he need to use the card to build his credit, or can the card be put up and the history, present and future of the card without him using build his credit up? Thanks

Being added as an AU can help IF the account is older than any of his, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. He will inherit the entire history of this account and never has to use it himself for the benefit. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south his credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 5 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1 to all the replies above...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.