cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CostCo Amex

tag
chen9810

Re: CostCo Amex

You are right. So the real benefit of Costco Amex is a free upgrade from Gold Membership to Executive Membership. ($50 annual savings). 

Am I right?

@-Cain- wrote:
OP, congrats and nice CL!

@chen9810 wrote:

Why do you apply costo amex? I think other Amex cards can also been used at Costo. Costo Amex gives 3% rewards at Costco, but 2% of them are actually from Costco Gold Membership, you are actually getting 1% from using the card.

2% from Gold? I know executive gives 2%, I thought Gold was the basic no reward membership.

Starting Score (FICO): EX: 667 7/6/2012, EQ: 721 7/22/2012
Goal Score: 750 till Dec 2013

Chase: Freedom (1.7k), Sapphire Preferred (5k), Hyatt (5k), United (5.7k); Amex: Blue Cash (5k), Blue Sky (5k); Citi Dividend (4k); Discover More (5k); US bank FlexPerk Cash (2k); BoA student (2.5k)
Message 11 of 24
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@chen9810 wrote:

You are right. So the real benefit of Costco Amex is a free upgrade from Gold Membership to Executive Membership. ($50 annual savings). 

Am I right?

@-Cain- wrote:
OP, congrats and nice CL!

@chen9810 wrote:

Why do you apply costo amex? I think other Amex cards can also been used at Costo. Costo Amex gives 3% rewards at Costco, but 2% of them are actually from Costco Gold Membership, you are actually getting 1% from using the card.

2% from Gold? I know executive gives 2%, I thought Gold was the basic no reward membership.

That's a good question. I'm not sure if it upgrades one's membership level or not, I already had Executive when I signed up.
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card doubles as your Costco card you get your picture on the back of it and yes it's also the Executive card and it pays for itself, great card I love mine!

Message 13 of 24
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

either way congrats on the card, thats a nice limit. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 14 of 24
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

One day I/we will get that costco card!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 15 of 24
emily504
Established Member

Regardless, i like the cash back even thought for costco only 1%, but I alwaus think this way, it may look like very tiny amount but it add up. I like the 3% cash back for gas which is great. 

Thanks everybody for all your great advice. Love this forum

Message 16 of 24
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Just confirmed with Costco. Amex Costco card does not upgrade you to executive level. If you want the 2% cash back, you need to pay for executive level. Over around 2800 a year at Costco for it to make financial sense.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 17 of 24
Quips
Regular Contributor

Agree - i have had this card for about 2 years and love it. The thing i really like is the 2% cash back on restaurants as well since we eat out a good bit.
FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 18 of 24
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@emily504 wrote:

Regardless, i like the cash back even thought for costco only 1%, but I alwaus think this way, it may look like very tiny amount but it add up. I like the 3% cash back for gas which is great. 

Thanks everybody for all your great advice. Love this forum

+1
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 19 of 24
2NE1
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

One day I/we will get that costco card!

Same here, I remember I applied two times back in the day (about four years ago) when I had no knowledge of how credit scores worked and was always denied! LOL, now I am working towards reaching this goal on the right path! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.