Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco AMEX Update 8/24/2015

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco AMEX Update 8/24/2015

Welp, it looks like AMEX is making everyone re-apply for an AMEX card after the Costco deal is over.

This was the only mail I received along with a benefits pamphlet, and APR percentage. Nothing in regards to soft pull/hard pull or any other info. 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco AMEX Update 8/24/2015

seemed that was coming with all the email offers about the BCE card everyone has been getting
Message 2 of 41
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Well, I didn't get an email offer (oops, probably because already have it). What about the unsubstantiated rumors of new product? Was it the plenti thing (is that even a card 😈)?
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 41
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

They should have at a bare minimum given you guys a better sign up bonus, they would have better conversions over to the BCE.

It would have been cool if they came out with (and PC you guys to) a new product along the lines of an all around 2% card or a 5% rotating category card that competes with either US Bank/Chase/Discover given there weren't any contractual obligations which would prevent such. 

Message 4 of 41
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Welp, it looks like AMEX is making everyone re-apply for an AMEX card after the Costco deal is over.

This was the only mail I received along with a benefits pamphlet, and APR percentage. Nothing in regards to soft pull/hard pull or any other info. 

Eh...I wouldn't bet the farm on that just yet.   AMEX hasn't actually agreed to sell the portfolio just yet.   If they sell the portfolio to Citi, then you would need to reapply to stay with AMEX.   If they do not, then the CCs would be PCed to another AMEX product.  IMHO, the very design of the card hints that they wanted to retain the portfolio all along.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 41
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting...  Looks like they are trying to decide what to do with the portfolio still thus asking you to re-apply if they can get enough people retained by re-applying for BCE then they might be more inclined to sell it?  I thought Citi had to take it over?

Message 6 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

They should have at a bare minimum given you guys a better sign up bonus, they would have better conversions over to the BCE.

It would have been cool if they came out with (and PC you guys to) a new product along the lines of an all around 2% card or a 5% rotating category card that competes with either US Bank/Chase/Discover given there weren't any contractual obligations which would prevent such. 

Maybe their market research shows that Costco users are more loyal to Costco than to the card issuer, and so giving good bonsuses wouldn't be cost-effective.   Of course, a new card would appeal to a wider audience.

Message 7 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Interesting...  Looks like they are trying to decide what to do with the portfolio still thus asking you to re-apply if they can get enough people retained by re-applying for BCE then they might be more inclined to sell it?  I thought Citi had to take it over?

From all accounts, Citi gets the portfolio, in that a Citi card would be given to all current Amex Costco holders (maybe subject to some approval criteria).  The question is how hard Amex tries to "retain" them with a different card.   And so far, the answer seems to be, not much!

Message 8 of 41
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, but what did you think would happen? They're not going to give you another card without a HP.

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, but what did you think would happen? They're not going to give you another card without a HP.

Right. They're not Comenity, and even that hopefully is going the way of the dodo.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.