Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco AMEX - what's the big deal?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Costco AMEX - what's the big deal?

Costco is planning on opening a store in New Orleans next summer. What's the big deal about Costco and more importantly what's the big deal about Costco AMEX?

This should open right around time of my refi. Should I consider the card for my second round of app spree?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Costco AMEX - what's the big deal?

Cosco Membership fee is waived with amex and you can buy in bulk for cheap.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 25
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

It's free and you get 1% cash back.  Amex is the only CC CostCo accepts.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 3 of 25
EandK23
Regular Contributor

Hi Duncanrr... 

I am a huge proponent of Costco.  I have an executive membership that gives me 2% CB on my purchases excluding gas. Bttw, in my area, gas is always .10 cents cheaper than most gas stations. I shop for only items that I need and am a pretty frugal shopper to say the least. You can definitely get carried away at Costco.

As for the Amex Costco card, I was recently approved for it and couldn't be happier. It gives decent cash back, and from my research, is the only card that is eligible for 3% CB at the Costco gas pump and a full 1% for Costco purchases. 

Message 4 of 25
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Its a pretty good card, and since costco only accepts amex as a credit card, its convenient if your going to be shopping there.  You get 3% on Gas, 2% on Dining, and %1 on everything else.  The above poster is wrong, costco membership fee isnt waived with the amex, you still have to pay your membership fee,  There is just no annual fee for the Costco Amex card all you have to pay is your Costco Membership fee.  Good luck to You

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Message 5 of 25
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Thanks for info. All we have down here is Sams Club and I've never been to Costco. The Sams is on West Bank and a bit of a pain. The Costco is closer to uptown and easier for me to get to.

I'm going to app for another AMEX in June but it maybe SPG or BCP.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 6 of 25
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

note that after 4k the 3% turns to 1%. on gas. 

and yes the costco membership isnt waived only the annual fee for the amex. 

and as for payments. costco does accept visa and mastercard but only as debit. otherwise they only accept amex(use my zync there) as credit. or cash. 

and yes the items they have there can easily turn into a 4-500 bill when only meant to go shopping for a few things. 

and never go there on an empty stomach. 

not only will you be prone to buy more but the samples will get you!. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

note that after 4k the 3% turns to 1%. on gas. 

and yes the costco membership isnt waived only the annual fee for the amex. 

and as for payments. costco does accept visa and mastercard but only as debit. otherwise they only accept amex(use my zync there) as credit. or cash. 

and yes the items they have there can easily turn into a 4-500 bill when only meant to go shopping for a few things. 

and never go there on an empty stomach. 

not only will you be prone to buy more but the samples will get you!. 

Very true!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 25
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Samples are the best part of costco.
Message 9 of 25
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Costco is actually the reason I got a Zync card in the first place. I got tired/wary of using my debit card at Costco and have found the NPSL feature to be useful there.

In addition to food, windshield wipers, etc. Costco forms relationships with local and national service providers and offers the services through Costco, often at a substantial savings and always with the backing of Costco. We have purchased a car through the costco auto program, a heating/cooling system, a trip to italy, homeowners insurance (later replaced with USAA), etc.

They are also one of the largest retailers of fine wine in the country. They are an excellent source for vintage champagne, sauternes, oregon pinot, cult cabs, washington wines and CdP. 

I originally planned to try for the Amex TE card, but don't think my credit is quite there yet. I will in another year or so, mostly because of the backdating (88) and because it is free.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.