Senior Contributor
bichonmom

Re: Costco AMEX - what's the big deal?

CribDuchess wrote:

I guess I'm about to find out what the big deal is!  I've received 2 emails from Costco in the past 2 months that promoted the Amex Costco TE card.  In yesterday's email, they offered $50 for spending $500 in the first 90 days.  I found myself clicking the "Apply" button within the email last night.  I was instantly approved (and no, I'm not talking about getting the 7-10 day message and then checking the app status and seeing "approved").  I submitted the app and the next screen I saw contained the words "congratulations" and "approved."  Not used to seeing that from Amex!

The only thing this app cost me was a HP on Experian (I now have 3 HPs on Experian, 2 of them are from Amex).  The 3% cash back on gas is what really motivated me....well, that and the 23 years of backdating.  My new car requires premium unleaded, so I try to fill up at my local Costco and the 3% cash back will be a nice benefit.

Does anyone know if the 2% on dining only applies to dine-in restaurants?  Or does it also apply to fast food/take out?

It's usually based on how the food establishment codes their stuff. Usually it will count as a restaurant.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Frequent Contributor
nada9188

That may be just for the business cards. I'll check and report back. Not trying to give any misinformation.
Frequent Contributor
nada9188

My mistake, the new cap was recently changed for the OPEN cards only..

4% cash back on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, including at Costco, for purchases up to $7,000 per year (1% thereafter)

Looks like the personal card is indeed $4000 annually. 

New Contributor
bluewillow

I am toying with the idea of renewing my Costco membership, is the Costco Amex the ONLY cc they accept or will my USAA Amex work? I do not need to open anymore cc's.

Established Contributor
djrez4

Costco accepts any Amex.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+