Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex Account Manager vs Authorized User

tag
KillerCut
Established Member

Costco Amex Account Manager vs Authorized User

Been trying to add a parent as an authorized user for my amex costco card, but they are not costco members, so that did not work. I did however add them as account manager...

What is the difference? Will they get a card? Will my history report on their credit report?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Costco Amex Account Manager vs Authorized User

@KillerCut wrote:

Been trying to add a parent as an authorized user for my amex costco card, but they are not costco members, so that did not work. I did however add them as account manager...

What is the difference? Will they get a card? Will my history report on their credit report?

Account Manager just allows them to have online acces, to call in on your behalf and do things with the account (change of address, payments, new cards, etc. depending how much access you gave them)

They will not receive a card and it will not report to their credit.

Message 2 of 18
KillerCut
Established Member

The thing is, the way I got to "Account Manager" is by logging in. Then on the left side I chose More Account Options, and selected Add & Manage Authorized Users. It then asked for all info for the New account manager, social, dob, address, phone. So its weird they want all that info and its "technically" in the Authorized User section...?

Message 3 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@KillerCut wrote:

The thing is, the way I got to "Account Manager" is by logging in. Then on the left side I chose More Account Options, and selected Add & Manage Authorized Users. It then asked for all info for the New account manager, social, dob, address, phone. So its weird they want all that info and its "technically" in the Authorized User section...?

Since account managers with Amex are allowed to do so much with an account it takes all their information so they can verify the account identity without knowing your personal information beyond the account info.

When they call even though they don't even have a card and can't charge, they can create an online account, they can tell amex it's them calling and amex will ask qeustions like the last 4 of their social instead of yours... actually amex doesn't really ask any questions if the phone number they call from is one of your listed account phone numbers... it's one of the great things about amex!

Message 4 of 18
KillerCut
Established Member

oyyy. So the account manager thing was a waste of time. Anyone know if you can add a 3rd costco member to an account. Same address, but different last name. Info out there is not really clear.

Message 5 of 18
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

It sounds like a easy fix pay the fee and sign them up for a costco membership
always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 6 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Believe you have to open 2nd Costco account to add a 3rd member... Should be able to still link to Amex I think
Message 7 of 18
KillerCut
Established Member

Costco terms are not entirely clear. It doesn't say there is a limit to 2. It does say that only 1 Executive membership per household.. It does say additional members must have same address.....

Message 8 of 18
dds2be
Valued Member

The only way you can add an additional card member to the Costco Amex is if the person is on the same membership account as you. you cant have the person you want to add to your credit card open their own account, and then add them to your costco amex, because it has to be under the same account. The way around this is if you get a business membership or convert your current account to a business acount, then you can add up to 6 additional cards ($55 each, and each add on gets one free household card, so technically 12 additional cards). then those on your account can be added to your amex.

if you dont meet the requirements for a business membership (3 form bus id / or bus license) , simply go to costco.com and sign up for a business membership online where they dont verify your business information, so you can have more than 2 cards per account. and on the online application, for business name, just put your own personal name. they wont close make you close out the business account if you dont have a business when you go into the store to put your photo on it,  and with the business membership you are not obligated to get the business costco te amex, you can still have the consumer one. 

hope that helps!

Age 28
BOFA Cash Rewards:25k
Citi Premier :16.7k
Citi Costco Visa:19.2k
Amex SPG: 30k
Macy's: 20k
care credit :15k Express: 3.2k Dillards : 5k
Amex Platinum :NPSL
CSP: 15k
Chase Marriot: 25K
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Fico Scores as of 10/2018: EX: 772, EQ: 782 TU: 778
Message 9 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@KillerCut wrote:

Been trying to add a parent as an authorized user for my amex costco card, but they are not costco members, so that did not work.

Always read the T&C's:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/terms/costco-trueearnings-credit-card/2...

Costco Additional Card Members 
Additional Card Members must have current Costco Memberships in their names. Must be 18 years or older and must never have had a defaulted account with American Express.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.