cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

Just closed my Costco Amex today. I opened it 3 days ago. What a drama, because of my impulsive action to open the card in the first place! 

The Amex CSR I spoke to told me that the card would not be reported to the major credit bureaus until July 22. So I don't think it will even show up on my credit reports. 

The consequence for me is taking a hit on my inquiries, so far. Besides that, what other possible negative impacts?

Message 1 of 94
93 REPLIES 93
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Re: Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

Why close it?

Message 2 of 94
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

What happened?

Message 3 of 94
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

You should have just left it open.

Message 4 of 94
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

+1! was that your first approval with amex? they have an awesome CLI policy. Wouldn't have hurt to keep it open. What happened that made you want to close it?

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 5 of 94
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

BTW, even though you closed the account it will still show up on your report.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 6 of 94
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Shouldve kept it! Amex is da bomb!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 94
myjourney
Super Contributor

Paid the price with a HP with an excellent lender and then didn't use it to your advantage. I completely don't understand your thinking?

This is a prime example of why we tell people to research what they want and why. Don't apply for a card that doesn't reward or benefit you.

The biggest question I have is that most people that apply for the Costco card shop there and to close a card with an lender that offers a 61 day CLi opportunity to triple your limit thus improving your UTL and purchasing power just leaves me puzzled.Smiley Surprised

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 94
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 94
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

Just closed my Costco Amex today. I opened it 3 days ago. What a drama, because of my impulsive action to open the card in the first place! 

The Amex CSR I spoke to told me that the card would not be reported to the major credit bureaus until July 22. So I don't think it will even show up on my credit reports. 

The consequence for me is taking a hit on my inquiries, so far. Besides that, what other possible negative impacts?

Call back and change your mind again... Send that card and keep it!!! why did you close? What was limit?

Message 10 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.