cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

Like others have said.....I would try to get that Amex card reopened. It's a really good tradeline.

However, if you or Amex insist on not reopening that account, call them and do try to have them delete that account entirely so that it does not report onto your CR. I know Chase is willing to remove accounts from CR entirely for accounts that are opened within the past 30 days, so hopefully Amex has a similar policy on this. However you'll be stuck with that inquiry (or inquiries), but I guess it won't really matter.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 41 of 94
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

...call them and do try to have them delete that account entirely so that it does not report onto your CR...

I will try to call their Credit Bureau Unit tomorrow to talk about that.

Message 42 of 94
myjourney
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Well, I did not really need that card.

I am trying to keep it 3 from now on and will think twice to apply for any credit cards in the future.

I was concerned having too many credit cards would affect my future loans if I had use up all my available credit.

You would have been fine IMHO

I know your new to the forum and we want to help so I offer some advice anytime you have a question please ask. There's a wealth of knowledge here of the forum most of which has learned from experience. We would have advice you to handle another way. 

Use that resource to your advantage. 

Me personally I feel I owe it to pay the knowledge I have learned forward and I think most people / others do as well. Live and learn 

Make a call and see if they will reopen your account it can't hurt to try and they did approval you in the first place. 

Good luck and best wishes I have my fingers crossed for youSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 43 of 94
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I like to spread my cc's around. I'm never tied to one financial institution just in case they pull a CLD or AA or tick me off.
Message 44 of 94
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I like to spread my cc's around. I'm never tied to one financial institution just in case they pull a CLD or AA or tick me off.

+1  ... my words Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 94
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

This. And also, you never know when their servers/network/whatever will be down. I remember a few months back there were posts about (Barclays?) cards not working for anyone. It took a few hours to fix. 

Message 46 of 94
Ron1
Super Contributor

Why? Smiley Surprised The card has no AF. It gives 2% cash back on restaurant and 3% cash back on gas. It is a good card to keep. It is one of my favorite card. I think you can call them to re-open within 30 days.

Ron.

Message 47 of 94
enharu
Super Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

This. And also, you never know when their servers/network/whatever will be down. I remember a few months back there were posts about (Barclays?) cards not working for anyone. It took a few hours to fix. 

+1 to both Lexie and Dubious.

Not all places accept every single payment network as well.

Dub, you just reminded me too. Discover network wasn't working with Petco.com for some reason a few days ago. Tried over 30 times and I eventually gave up. Used UR mall instead and paid with my CSP Smiley Mad

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 48 of 94
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Dubious wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

+1 to both Lexie and Dubious.

Not all places accept every single payment network as well.

+1 to all

Couldn't agree more.

Message 49 of 94
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

What's that one saying? Don't put all your eggs in one basket?

Message 50 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.