Valued Contributor

Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

Just closed my Costco Amex today. I opened it 3 days ago. What a drama, because of my impulsive action to open the card in the first place! 

The Amex CSR I spoke to told me that the card would not be reported to the major credit bureaus until July 22. So I don't think it will even show up on my credit reports. 

The consequence for me is taking a hit on my inquiries, so far. Besides that, what other possible negative impacts?

Established Contributor

Re: Costco Amex Drama - my impulsive action!

Why close it?

Senior Contributor

What happened?

Move the mouse over the cards for detailed view!
FICO® EQ 788 (as of today) - TU 777 (01/28).. ¦ ..Fako EX 808 (02/03 - CS)
Vantage score 3.0 TU 788 - EQ 806 (CK 02/03) ................................................bronze spade Garden Club Member

Frequent Contributor

You should have just left it open.

Scores: TU - 758 (Discover FICO - 12/31/2014), EQ - 758 (Citi FICO - 12/23/2014)
Current Cards: Amex BCE - 10k, NFCU cashRewards Sig - 5k, Discover It - 5k, Citi Dividend WE- 5k, Chase Freedom - 4k
Last App: 6/10/2014. In the garden for a few years.
Established Contributor

+1! was that your first approval with amex? they have an awesome CLI policy. Wouldn't have hurt to keep it open. What happened that made you want to close it?

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Established Contributor

BTW, even though you closed the account it will still show up on your report.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Senior Contributor

Shouldve kept it! Amex is da bomb!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Paid the price with a HP with an excellent lender and then didn't use it to your advantage. I completely don't understand your thinking?

This is a prime example of why we tell people to research what they want and why. Don't apply for a card that doesn't reward or benefit you.

The biggest question I have is that most people that apply for the Costco card shop there and to close a card with an lender that offers a 61 day CLi opportunity to triple your limit thus improving your UTL and purchasing power just leaves me puzzled.:smileysurprised:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13

Epic Contributor

DigitalArk wrote:

Just closed my Costco Amex today. I opened it 3 days ago. What a drama, because of my impulsive action to open the card in the first place! 

The Amex CSR I spoke to told me that the card would not be reported to the major credit bureaus until July 22. So I don't think it will even show up on my credit reports. 

The consequence for me is taking a hit on my inquiries, so far. Besides that, what other possible negative impacts?

Call back and change your mind again... Send that card and keep it!!! why did you close? What was limit?

Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.