Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco Amex Question

Yes, I am done with my app spree and not applying, but I was curious about this card after seeing it mentioned a few times.  Is it like a normal Amex where it becomes eligible for backdating, etc?  How hard to get is it?  I am a Costco member and frequent shopper and one of the downsides is that they don't take my CCs, so I can't get rewards on my purchases there.  The last card I want to add to my portfolio for a while is an Amex (to start the backdating clock).  I was going to reapp for Zync at the end of the year, but perhaps I could apply fo this one instead if it is better.  What do you all think?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Re: Costco Amex Question

If I was you I would wait until your CS goes up because your scores are low. I would not try for Amex at this time. Wait and see your scores goes up. 😉
Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credithappy wrote:
If I was you I would wait until your CS goes up because your scores are low. I would not try for Amex at this time. Wait and see your scores goes up. 😉

Oh no, trust me, I'm not, hence the very first part of my post: "Yes, I am done with my app spree and not applying."  I was denied for Zync yesterday.  I have no immediate plans on applying for this.  I was just trying to gather information about it and see what it is like, how it works, if it is like a normal Amex for backdating, etc.

Message 3 of 29
pakman92
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I am done with my app spree and not applying, but I was curious about this card after seeing it mentioned a few times.  Is it like a normal Amex where it becomes eligible for backdating, etc?  How hard to get is it?  I am a Costco member and frequent shopper and one of the downsides is that they don't take my CCs, so I can't get rewards on my purchases there.  The last card I want to add to my portfolio for a while is an Amex (to start the backdating clock).  I was going to reapp for Zync at the end of the year, but perhaps I could apply fo this one instead if it is better.  What do you all think?

My wife opened one w/ me as an additional user.  I believe backdating is possible, but not in my case because, Amex Gold we have has me as primary, and wife as additional user.  I tried and the rep told me that since the primary holder is different he could not back date the Costco card.  There is no fee.  my wife has ~740 EQ score and was approved for 4K CL.  

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 4 of 29
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've wanted the Costco Amex ever since they came out with it, and I finally got it last month! It is a harder card to get. I apped 1 1/2 yrs ago and was denied. I've since worked on rebuilding and the 2 baddies fell off. Even so, I apped for Zync first because I didn't know if I would be approved for the Costco card, and I knew Zync would be easier based on everyone's experience here. Then after Zync was approved, I went ahead and apped for Costco. (If you app and are denied, you cannot app for any other Amex for 30 days, which is why I tried for Zync first. I figured if I didn't get Costco, at least I'd be in with Zync.)

The backdating works exactly the same. It's a revolver w/rewards: 3% gas, 2% restaruants, 1% everything else, incl Costco. You only get your rewards once a year, in Feb, I believe.

I don't know what my EX FICO is, but based on my other scores and what's on my EX CR, I'm estimating it's in the low to mid 700s. Ideally, you should have at least 1 year with 2 positive TLs and no baddies and VERY low inq. (I had 3: from last Feb, March and April on my EX CR.)

If you're not sure you'll be approved, I would recommend you do what I did, and app for a charge first. Then if you're not approved for the Costco, at least you'll have a foot in the door w/ a charge.

@BTW, I also apped for Costco during their Amex promotion week, which I do think may have helped me. They told me that nearly everyone who apped had been approved. If you ask your local Costco, they may be able to tell you when they're planning it. I'm not entirely sure what it's called, but basically they just have a table set up @ Costco w/Costco employees and promo gifts for apping (coffee cups or tote bags). It's better to app in the store, because that way you find out right away if you're approved. Otherwise, you have to wait several days for Amex to confirm your Costco m'ship and you'll have to wait to find out if you're approved or not.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thansk pakman.  My situation would be that this would be my first Amex ever.  I would hope that in the future if I get another one, they would backdate to when the Costco card started.

Also, just looking at the rewards, it seems really impressive. 3% on all gas, 2% from restaurants (I eat out a lot) and travel, and 1% on everything, all with no annual fee.  Sounds like a winner to me.  I imagine it is a lot harder to get than Zync though.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate all the great info bichonmom.  I will meet all the requirements by the end of this year I think, except INQs could be an issue.  By then, I would have about 10 (all auto loans in mid january) that will be 10 months old, and 3-4 CC inquiries from March that will be 8 months old or so, if I do it in November or so.  I know Amex hates inquiries.  Any idea how recent they are usually worried about?  I will be refraining from any more inquiries until I eventually do app Amex, so there will be no more after yesterday.

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thansk pakman.  My situation would be that this would be my first Amex ever.  I would hope that in the future if I get another one, they would backdate to when the Costco card started.

Also, just looking at the rewards, it seems really impressive. 3% on all gas, 2% from restaurants (I eat out a lot) and travel, and 1% on everything, all with no annual fee.  Sounds like a winner to me.  I imagine it is a lot harder to get than Zync though.

Not to fuel your app itch but if you eat out a lot another great restaurant card is Citi Forward - its 5 points/dollar spent on dining (incl fast food). This translates to 3.3% cash back as a statement credit or 4-5% when redeemed for gift cards, mortgage or student loan payments, travel, and some other things. It's no AF and also a Visa so all the mom and pop stores will accept it. Restaurants make up a lot of my monthly spending so this card has been invaluable to me!

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to fuel your app itch but if you eat out a lot another great restaurant card is Citi Forward - its 5 points/dollar spent on dining (incl fast food). This translates to 3.3% cash back as a statement credit or 4-5% when redeemed for gift cards, mortgage or student loan payments, travel, and some other things. It's no AF and also a Visa so all the mom and pop stores will accept it. Restaurants make up a lot of my monthly spending so this card has been invaluable to me!

Actually one step ahead of you.  Already apped Citi Forward yesterday.  I got the wait 7-10 day message, so I'm waiting (im)patiently for now.  They pulled EX which is identical to my EQ report so I should have above a 700 on there.  I was pretty surprised I was not insta approved to be honest.  I'm sure it was inquiries though.  They were the last card I applied for so they would have seen on the same day inquiries from PSECU, Amex, and PNC (2 of which were denials).  I should have done Forward before Amex and PNC.  You win some you lose some.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually one step ahead of you.  Already apped Citi Forward yesterday.  I got the wait 7-10 day message, so I'm waiting (im)patiently for now.

Nice, good luck! Have you tried calling in to see what the hold up is?

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.