tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco Amex Question

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thansk pakman.  My situation would be that this would be my first Amex ever.  I would hope that in the future if I get another one, they would backdate to when the Costco card started.

Also, just looking at the rewards, it seems really impressive. 3% on all gas, 2% from restaurants (I eat out a lot) and travel, and 1% on everything, all with no annual fee.  Sounds like a winner to me.  I imagine it is a lot harder to get than Zync though.

Not to fuel your app itch but if you eat out a lot another great restaurant card is Citi Forward - its 5 points/dollar spent on dining (incl fast food). This translates to 3.3% cash back as a statement credit or 4-5% when redeemed for gift cards, mortgage or student loan payments, travel, and some other things. It's no AF and also a Visa so all the mom and pop stores will accept it. Restaurants make up a lot of my monthly spending so this card has been invaluable to me!

Actually one step ahead of you.  Already apped Citi Forward yesterday.  I got the wait 7-10 day message, so I'm waiting (im)patiently for now.

Nice, good luck! Have you tried calling in to see what the hold up is?

I called this morning and the CSR just said they would notify me when they made a decision.  I can't seem to find a backdoor number to a credit analyst to ask for more details.  The CSR doesn't seem to know anything or have any power to make a decision.  Any ideas on who I might call?

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure. Just the #s on the backdoor #s sticky. Looks kinda messy for Citi, don't see a dedicated recon line.

Citi: 888-201-4523 (New App Approval Status)

Citi AA:  888-662-7759

Citi App Status: 800-645-7240, 800-288-4653, 800-750-7453 

Citi: 800-444-2568 (Retention Dept.)

Citi: 800-763-9795 (App status?? They ask for your app #)

Citi Credit Bureau Dispute Fax: 866-713-5028

Message 12 of 29
teenastie
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I am done with my app spree and not applying, but I was curious about this card after seeing it mentioned a few times.  Is it like a normal Amex where it becomes eligible for backdating, etc?  How hard to get is it?  I am a Costco member and frequent shopper and one of the downsides is that they don't take my CCs, so I can't get rewards on my purchases there.  The last card I want to add to my portfolio for a while is an Amex (to start the backdating clock).  I was going to reapp for Zync at the end of the year, but perhaps I could apply fo this one instead if it is better.  What do you all think?

This is true for warehouse shopping if you don't already have an Amex. But you can use Visa, MC, and Discover online if you have a big purchase planned Smiley Happy they deliver and if you don't like the product you can return back to the local warehouse. I hope this helps!

Message 13 of 29
dead9uy
Valued Member

I have had the Costco AMEX for about 9 months and really like it. Just received my bonus check for last year. I was approved with FICO in the 670's, about 7 inquiries and 1 paid collection from 4 years ago. I started with a $1,200 limit and was recently bumped to $3,600. 

Hope that helps.

Message 14 of 29
pakman92
Established Contributor

@dead9uy wrote:

I have had the Costco AMEX for about 9 months and really like it. Just received my bonus check for last year. I was approved with FICO in the 670's, about 7 inquiries and 1 paid collection from 4 years ago. I started with a $1,200 limit and was recently bumped to $3,600. 

Hope that helps.

Did you have to ask for the bump or was it auto?

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 15 of 29
dead9uy
Valued Member

I requested through their site. No HP or further inquiry on their part. It automatically approved. 

Message 16 of 29
halos24
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I am done with my app spree and not applying, but I was curious about this card after seeing it mentioned a few times.  Is it like a normal Amex where it becomes eligible for backdating, etc?  How hard to get is it?  I am a Costco member and frequent shopper and one of the downsides is that they don't take my CCs, so I can't get rewards on my purchases there.  The last card I want to add to my portfolio for a while is an Amex (to start the backdating clock).  I was going to reapp for Zync at the end of the year, but perhaps I could apply fo this one instead if it is better.  What do you all think?

I applied for this card Jan 2011 and was approved, they also backdated the card to state 2005 on my reports which is when I was an AU on my husbands two Amex cards!  I did not have to ask for the back date they did that automatically on both my Amex TU and Zync.  So far I have been happy with the Amex TU I received my first cash back check this year for almost $300!

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 17 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think your better off after gardening to try for a charge card first. Get your foot in the door with AMEX.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 29
halos24
Frequent Contributor

@dead9uy wrote:

Hope that helps.

What was your util when you asked for the CL?  I have asked twice since having the card (Jan 2011) and no luck.  They also started me at $1,200, but then again my util is high right now. 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 19 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@dead9uy wrote:

Hope that helps.

Very nice CLI bump, Congrats!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.