Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex membership requirement

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Costco Amex membership requirement

So my aunt is a Costco member, and I'm not. I was told that she can add two people in the same household to her membership, as long as they live in the same household (I do, since I'm a college student). If I was added to her Costco membership, would that make me eligible for an American Express True Earnings card? And, if I was eligible, what would happen when I moved out in two years? Would my card be cancelled? Or would I just have to pay the annual fee that you normally would for a Costco membership?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: Costco Amex membership requirement

@NewSurrender wrote:

So my aunt is a Costco member, and I'm not. I was told that she can add two people in the same household to her membership, as long as they live in the same household (I do, since I'm a college student). If I was added to her Costco membership, would that make me eligible for an American Express True Earnings card? YES. And, if I was eligible, what would happen when I moved out in two years? Would my card be cancelled? NO, but you would have to pay the annual fee as a new member I believe. Hence a new member# which will have to be added to your TrueEarnings card. Or would I just have to pay the annual fee that you normally would for a Costco membership? YES.

But honestly, you can move your of your aunt's place and keep the same number and all (if she doesn't mind paying the annual fee with you added to her membership). Does she have the gold star or the executive?
Message 2 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe that you can be elligible to get the card if you're added on to her membership and I think that you could also let your membership lapse without incurring any additional fees.  

I don't have this card but I think this is how it works.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Costco Amex is eligible for Costco members. It's okay if you aren't primary member.  However dropping Costco membership = no costco Amex when membershiprenewal date comes up if I remember correctly.  Also, as college student, Costco Amex might be shooting high, but that is guess without knowing anything else about your credit.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I did some additional searching and I agree with Crashem, I believe that AMEX probably won't let you keep your card unless you renew your Costco membership.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The Blue Cash Preferred is actually a much better reward card then Costco Amex! (I made this mistake in telling my partner which Amex to get!)

Message 6 of 20
cschick_old
Established Member

As long as your drivers licenses say the same addresses when you do the initial additional member that's all they care about, come renewal time if you don't want to change your costco extra member they don't care about anything but you paying for the renewal. Personally I'd go for one of the flavors of Blue Amex, the sign up bonus is better and  you'll probably earn more cash back(do some basic math and figure out). The way i read the info on the amex website is that if you don't have a costco membership either amex cancels your card or charges you an annual fee equal to the cost of a gold star membership.

FICO: Ex 782(AMEX)
Cards: Amex BCE(2500), Discover(2500), Target (500)
App'd Amex & Target Jul 2012, Gardening til 2013 or beyond
Goals: Visa or MC Rewards Card after first home (2014-2015)
Message 7 of 20
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I have never been to a cotsco but will join just to get this card.....
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Wait... I think this went off course....

If you have a valid membership card it matters nothing about being same address, being family, nothing... You have a Costco Membership and you apply...

Now with that said when my partner was instantly approved in store the only issue we have now had 2 is that his card went to primary "Costco" Member address even though his address was used on app. and then again at reward check time it went to primary... Both issues were fixed with Overnight shipping by Amex to send new card and to issue rewards check again.

Membership will continue to bill to primary unless they cancel.

Message 9 of 20
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wait... I think this went off course....

If you have a valid membership card it matters nothing about being same address, being family, nothing... You have a Costco Membership and you apply...

Now with that said when my partner was instantly approved in store the only issue we have now had 2 is that his card went to primary "Costco" Member address even though his address was used on app. and then again at reward check time it went to primary... Both issues were fixed with Overnight shipping by Amex to send new card and to issue rewards check again.

Membership will continue to bill to primary unless they cancel.

I am very interested in this topic as well. My aunt and my mother have a Costco membership together with my aunt´s address. I am not in the costco membership and live elsewhere. Can I get added if I bring some magazines to my name with my aunt´s address?? I want to apply for the Costco card but I don´t know my options. From what you say, I´d only need to be in the membership.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.