Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Costco Amex

Anyone app for this card recently and get approved?  If so, please share your experiences.  I'm thinking about app'ing in the next few months.

Thank you!

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Costco Amex

@pattycake wrote:

Anyone app for this card recently and get approved?  If so, please share your experiences.  I'm thinking about app'ing in the next few months.

Thank you!

Pattycake I thought you were gardening.  LOL.  I'm done apping until July 2010.  My next card may be the Costco Amex to upgrade from the Blue, so I'm interested in the responses you receive.  

Message 2 of 33
pattycake
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

Thank you!

Pattycake I thought you were gardening.  LOL.  I'm done apping until July 2010.  My next card may be the Costco Amex to upgrade from the Blue, so I'm interested in the responses you receive.  

I'm gardening until I app for the Costco Amex!!!!! Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the blue sky card a while, but never used it.

I apped for the costco card and found out some interesting things:

My account was aged to the date I joined as a Costco member.  A new card in July of 09 says June 07 on it.

Just today I realized something a little disturbing: about 70% of the "restaurants" I've dined at, including places like McDonald's are paid as 1% "other".  I'm going to have to get to the bottom of this soon.  That was over $500 I only got 1% vs. 3% reward. I noticed on my statement that these 70% don't identify as restaurants even though they are, clearly.

Lastly, today was my 3 month anniversary.  Teaser rate is over, and they gave me a $349 CLI... bringing the credit line to $2349.  Not great in my opinion.  I still can't use this card to buy flights for my work... but thats their loss.

Overall, I like the card, but I need to get my rewards issue straightened out.

Message Edited by anevilpetingzoo on 09-30-2009 05:28 PM
Message 4 of 33
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Hmm...

I got my first Amex, a Gold in May 2008, and then the Costco in June 2008.

But, I joined Costco in May 2007. Are you saying I can get re-aged to 2007 on both my Amex cards?

P. S. I don't think history with Costco is that significant a factor when applying for the card. I had only a year of membership and probably less than $500 in purchases when I was approved.

Message Edited by jaysdad2k on 09-30-2009 09:44 PM
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't honestly know about the re-aging thing.  Maybe you could and it couldn't hurt to ask!

I also have been a mediocre customer of Costco.  I get my membership though my work so maybe they liked that history...I'm not sure.

BTW, strangest thing! I logged into my Costco Amex account this morning, and my CLI was GONE!  I guess I have to set aside some time to chat with a CSR today.

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just today I realized something a little disturbing: about 70% of the "restaurants" I've dined at, including places like McDonald's are paid as 1% "other".  I'm going to have to get to the bottom of this soon.  That was over $500 I only got 1% vs. 3% reward. I noticed on my statement that these 70% don't identify as restaurants even though they are, clearly.

There is no human or program from the credit card company reviewing your purchases. The "tag" which denotes your purchase type comes from the merchant you purchase from. It may be improperly formatted or simply incorrect, or ran in tandem with another aspect of the business and therefore not categorized correctly.

Going to my local big box grocery store and picking up dry cleaning at the service counter, and filling my tank up at the outside pumps  still flags the transaction as grocery store.

Message 7 of 33
pattycake
Established Contributor

Amex told me they don't review your history, but that Costco does review some things prior to granting a CL.  I have Ameriprise insurance on my house and car, so they may also look into whether applicants are likely to purchase these types of products through them (got the policies under Costco). 

Anyway, I'm debating whether it's worth it.  I didn't get the Addison Ave card because they were looking at an old CRB from EX (the one I ordered had no derogs from Chase or CapOne, but that was a couple of weeks after they pulled).  Do they still do instant approvals at Costco's member desk?  

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pattycake wrote:

Amex told me they don't review your history, but that Costco does review some things prior to granting a CL.  I have Ameriprise insurance on my house and car, so they may also look into whether applicants are likely to purchase these types of products through them (got the policies under Costco). 

I'm sorry.

You should really shop around. I found them to be not at all competitive and very disingenious.

Apped online through COSTCO.

Received a great quote cheaper then USAA. paid with a credit card to establish

Called USAA to see if they could match, USAA could not but CSR from USAA asked me to maintain coverage until I received the Ameriprise documents, which I did.

Received documents, quote was $78.00 a month more then then USAA, and 98 more then the online quote, called, got a foreign CSR and found out that the initial quote was before they actually investigated you as a customer and ran your bureau and such and thats why my "real" rate was different.

So I went to cancel as they were no longer competitive at all with USAA.

They demanded keeping in the refund a processing fee/transaction fee, so I had to dispute the transaction with my CC to get all my money back since had I known the quote was not my real quote I would not have purchased. 

They contacted me and complained to me about filing the dispute.

much argumenting went on.

I actually wrote Costco a compplaint letter, which I heard nothing back from COSTCO on.

In my eyes after 11 years of COSTCO membership the only bad experience I ever had with COSTCO.

Message Edited by usmc58555 on 10-01-2009 10:22 AM
Message 9 of 33
pattycake
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

I'm sorry.

You should really shop around. I found them to be not at all competitive and very disingenious.

Apped online through COSTCO.

Received a great quote cheaper then USAA. paid with a credit card to establish

Called USAA to see if they could match, USAA could not but CSR from USAA asked me to maintain coverage until I received the Ameriprise documents, which I did.

Received documents, quote was $78.00 a month more then then USAA, and 98 more then the online quote, called, got a foreign CSR and found out that the initial quote was before they actually investigated you as a customer and ran your bureau and such and thats why my "real" rate was different.

So I went to cancel as they were no longer competitive at all with USAA.

They demanded keeping in the refund a processing fee/transaction fee, so I had to dispute the transaction with my CC to get all my money back since had I known the quote was not my real quote I would not have purchased. 

They contacted me and complained to me about filing the dispute.

much argumenting went on.

I actually wrote Costco a compplaint letter, which I heard nothing back from COSTCO on.

In my eyes after 11 years of COSTCO membership the only bad experience I ever had with COSTCO.

Message Edited by usmc58555 on 10-01-2009 10:22 AM

Still want to know recent experiences on the Costco Amex app process.  

usmc - Ameriprise was actually one of the better rates I was quoted for home/car.  The auto rate was close to $500 a year cheaper than what I had, and the home rate was also much less expensive.  They did a soft pull, which is legal in Arizona, for rates.   I have no claims and a clean driving record, so that might have helped.  

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.