tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco Anywhere Visa® Card

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I love costco. But really, Do we need another thread for this card?????  Even if it was for sams club mastercard upgrades I wouldnt want new threads every day showing up.

If anything, this is just as interesting news as your "June 4th is a sad day for Citibank" thread Smiley Very Happy   You dont' have to read it! LOL

mmmk but i dont post about it everyday in multiple threads, thanks.

I can tell it's the end of the week, everyone is getting cranky over credit......

Thanks for the chuckle!

Message 51 of 167
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This looks good, but it's only marginally better than the Sam's Club MasterCard.  Actually, assuming you shop at both stores (and would have the memberships anyway) Sam's has a slight edge on gas purchases (5%). 

The main difference I see rewards-wise is that using the new Visa card, you get 2% back for all Costco purchases, while with the Sam's Club MasterCard you only earn 1% cash back for your Sam's purchases (the same as any other MasterCard purchase). 

If I already had the Amex TE Costco card I would be excited, though... this does seem like quite an improvement. 

(Side note:  Aesthetically speaking, the Costco card definitely has the edge over Sam's, but I'm generally more concerned with my rewards than the card's appearance.)

The extra 1% on all Costco purchases makes up for the 1% that's lacking from gas purchases. Basically, they are even. 

I hadn't thought about it like that... that's an excellent point!  (and very true)  Smiley Very Happy

Message 52 of 167
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still trying to figure out if this thing is worth picking up.

While I do have a Costco membership, I'm finding that I end up buying most of my food at a grocery store and use SM there for 5%... and generally end up using a normal gas station as well - with the SM for 5% again...

I don't have a 3% dining card, but since my plan is to pick up a CSP+Freedom combo for UR points -> airline miles this year, seems kind of moot. What do you guys think?

Message 53 of 167
Anonymous
Not applicable

buying at costco is more bang for the buck i would think. so 2% on wholesale prices seems better than 5% on grocery store prices (in general)
Message 54 of 167
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out if this thing is worth picking up.

While I do have a Costco membership, I'm finding that I end up buying most of my food at a grocery store and use SM there for 5%... and generally end up using a normal gas station as well - with the SM for 5% again...

I don't have a 3% dining card, but since my plan is to pick up a CSP+Freedom combo for UR points -> airline miles this year, seems kind of moot. What do you guys think?

Well seeming as though you already have a membership, why not?

I have a Sallie Mae also and am planning on applying when it becomes available to everyone. An extra few % here and there throughout the year doesn't hurt.

Costco gas is cheaper around here so the 4% would actually be of better value to me.

Message 55 of 167
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Does require Costco membership to apply for one?

Message 56 of 167
slicemans
Regular Contributor

@vwgrrc wrote:

Does require Costco membership to apply for one?

yes

Message 57 of 167
android01
Valued Contributor

The rewards aren't bad.  I'm mainly interested to see if my new Citi card will have a membership date of 1986.  Smiley Wink

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 58 of 167
redpat
Senior Contributor

If you have CSP the Chase FU card is the only 3 plus percent card on the market for all spend based on UR points.  So I'm going to give the edge to chase for the best new card so far this year.  Plus no AF or membership to boot.  Also rewards aren't given annually.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 59 of 167
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Might do it.  Maybe, and that's only because when I start optimizing my food spend Costco looks like a solid choice for bulk veggies and maybe for other items too and I have zero intention of picking up the Fidelity Visa, though the Freedom Unlimited might be a better fit there assuming that's a Visa.

I don't know if I'd replace other cards though, but given the Sallie spending cap is likely not going to cut it when I have to drive 75 miles a day in traffic when I get into my coursework hardcore, may need the fallback.   Sigh, 20K miles per year doesn't sound like a good time after driving maybe 5K/yr for the past couple of years.

Some benefit if I'm effectively consolidating a card or two into Chase to diversify with Citi as well.

        
Message 60 of 167
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.