Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco TR Amex or Blue Sky?

tag
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

Costco TR Amex or Blue Sky?

Just got approved for $7k with southwest chase card, now wondering what I would get next - any input?

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Costco TR Amex or Blue Sky?

The Costco AMEX does not qualify for rewards points. It is just cash back.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 2 of 12
Marcos8
Established Contributor

What happens if after obtaining a Costco Amex a person decides to cancel their Costco membership? Does the card become one with an annual fee or is the credit card just cancelled all together?

Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@JediNeo wrote:
The Costco AMEX does not qualify for rewards points. It is just cash back.

+1

Message 4 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

Just got approved for $7k with southwest chase card, now wondering what I would get next - any input?

Unless you have a targeted offer for the Blue Sky (30k points after $500 spend), i would go for the Costco. Good luck!

Message 5 of 12
w003ptr
Contributor

@Marcos8 wrote:

What happens if after obtaining a Costco Amex a person decides to cancel their Costco membership? Does the card become one with an annual fee or is the credit card just cancelled all together?

You can PC to a no AF card like BCE, BC, or Blue Sky.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 6 of 12
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@w003ptr wrote:

No, you cannot. I have talked to a rep and she told me that Costco Amex was one of their cards that could not PC to other cards.

Message 7 of 12
brianjb
Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

No, you cannot. I have talked to a rep and she told me that Costco Amex was one of their cards that could not PC to other cards.

+1

I have verified this as well.  If you are going to cancel your Costco membership and you want to keep an AMEX you should apply for another AMEX card prior to cancelling.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 8 of 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

My Costco TE is my favorite and current go to card!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

If you want recommendations you need to provide a lot more information on yourself as card selection is a very subjective process.  What are you looking for in your next card?  Blue Sky and TE are two very different cards.  How did you narrow it down to these two?   Have you used the comparison tool on the AmEx site?

@Marcos8 wrote:

Terms are the place to find the answers to such questions:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/terms/costco-trueearnings-credit-card/2...

The TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express is only available to you if you have a paid Costco membership in your name. You must maintain your Costco membership to redeem the Reward. We may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program if you do not maintain your Costco membership.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.