Costco True Earnings from American Express

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Costco True Earnings from American Express

@dilettante wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@TheOptimusMan wrote:

Thank you everyone for chiming in. This is definitely a unique situation and I want to be sure to cover all variables before wasting an HP.

Lexie, it is a company membership. They've provided her with their membership # so she can be added as an authorized user to the company acct.

My guess would be no because the requirement is a billable Costco membership (AF is billed to TE) but it is worth asking

Okay, curiosity got the best of me because I'm procrastinating packing for my trip. I called Costco Amex and asked if the membership is paid by an employer, can that person apply for a personal TE card. The CSR answered that yes, you are eligible to apply for the card even though the membership is being payed by your employer but when setting up the account, opt-out of being auto billed for the membership fee. But as everyone knows, you may get another answer from a different CSR since so many things are YMMV.

You should definitely call and see what answer you get.  Though the ability to being added to that corporate membership may cause another obstactle for you being added as an AU on the Amex.

I guess I was assuming that it was not only paid by but it was in the company's name. Ie Zzzz Accounting and OPs wife had a card as an employee. 

I would be interested to know that my employees could reap the benefits of being an AU on my membership.  

Message 11 of 13
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@TheOptimusMan wrote:

Thank you everyone for chiming in. This is definitely a unique situation and I want to be sure to cover all variables before wasting an HP.

Lexie, it is a company membership. They've provided her with their membership # so she can be added as an authorized user to the company acct.

For her....

If her Costco Membership is a company benefit it likely is a Gold Star Membership ($55/yr last time I checked).  I'm not 100% sure but I believe you have to be an Executive member ($110/yr) to apply for AMEX TE.  I do not know if Costco will ask her to pay the full Exec Member fee (if it's a requirement for the TE card) or the difference between the two memberships.  If the membership paid by the company is an Exec membership then she should have no problem applying for the card.

For you....

All Auth Users have to have their own Costco membership.  If she upgrades to Exec she can add you to her Costco membership.

However... Costco accepts ALL Amex cards.  There are AMEX cards with much better rewards.  Unless you're a heavy Costco Gas purchaser the TE card really has no benefits over other products AMEX offers.  Compare the TE Card with the Fidelity AMEX, I believe that one pays a higher percentage back.

I would compare TE Cards with other AMEX products and pick the one with the right rewards for your situation.  She/both of you can inquire and apply at the membership desk at Costco when she goes in to pick up her membership from her employer.  The warehouse membership desk will certainly be able to clarify who needs membership and what level is required for the TE card.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 12 of 13
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Just to follow up I read the AMEX site and it doesn't say she has to be an Exec Member... So that's good.  Smiley Happy  But to be an AU oh her TE card you would need to become a Costco member.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.