Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco only taking Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco only taking Amex

Does anyone find it strange that Costco only takes Amex? I understand they have a deal with Amex to accept their cards exclusively in return for lower fees but I can imagine they are turning away some business by not accepting a more widely carried issuer. I'm sure there are others out there like me who prefer to pay with credit over debit/cash.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Costco only taking Amex

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone find it strange that Costco only takes Amex? I understand they have a deal with Amex to accept their cards exclusively in return for lower fees but I can imagine they are turning away some business by not accepting a more widely carried issuer. I'm sure there are others out there like me who prefer to pay with credit over debit/cash.

@Anonymous, for many years, Costco didn't take ANY CCs. I believe it's because they sell at lower prices and probably didn't want to factor in merchant fees/bankcard discounts, which would require they increase their prices. I've always just paid w/a check @ Costco. It was a big deal when Costco started taking Amex. I've wanted their Amex card ever since they came out with it... and finally have one! Smiley Happy

@Anonymous doesn't bother me at all that they don't take other CCs. IMO, it's well worth the money I save shopping @ Costco, to pay w/a check.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

They accept debit and cash as well. They're not the only warehouse to insitute a policy like that.
Incidentally, you can use any card for Costco travel.
Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well looks like I won't be getting a membership from them...................Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol Amex isn't the only bank that uses their network. You can get a Citi, boa, Omaha etc, as long as it has the logo. Even prepaid cards probably work.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sam's Club used to only accept Discover for the same reasons.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Lol Amex isn't the only bank that uses their network. You can get a Citi, boa, Omaha etc, as long as it has the logo. Even prepaid cards probably work.

Exactly!  I use my USAA Amex at Costco with no problem.

Message 7 of 17
teenastie
Established Contributor

Costco accepts all forms of payment online. I don't think there missing out on business as their clientele (at lease in my area) would probably exclusively use Amex there regardless of what the store accepted.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, for many years, Costco didn't take ANY CCs. I believe it's because they sell at lower prices and probably didn't want to factor in merchant fees/bankcard discounts, which would require they increase their prices. I've always just paid w/a check @ Costco. It was a big deal when Costco started taking Amex. I've wanted their Amex card ever since they came out with it... and finally have one! Smiley Happy

@Anonymous doesn't bother me at all that they don't take other CCs. IMO, it's well worth the money I save shopping @ Costco, to pay w/a check.

Good point Bichon! I didn't realize they use to not accept credit cards at all.

Message 9 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

So as of right now they only accept AMEX for credit? Is that changing anytime soon?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.