Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco vs Sams

@14Fiesta wrote:

@hot4u wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:
Sorry, for my spending level SM beats Sam's. Yes I'm a member of both. I joined Costco because my mother likes it better than Sam's.

My partner worked forWalmart for a bit so we had a Sam's membership at a discount rate. Rejoined when a greatgroupon deal popped up.

Yeah, we did a groupon for Costco, basically free coupons and stuff to make first year free. I do agree SM MC has many great things as I shop a ton at Amazon, but it doesn't beat the Sam card in any way for gas. Here in California we have some of the highest gas rates in the US. It would take 8-10% rebate to compete with the net price I get at Costco gas stations. Using current Gas Buddy site....

Costco $3.23 - 3% = $3.14  (approx)

Sam's  $3.23 - 5% = $3.07  (approx)

SMMC $3.49 - 5% = $3.32  < lowest nearby station that accepts credit

The big savings is using membership club gas stations with their rebate CC. It would take ~9% rebate CC to compete at a regular credit accepting gas station. Gas is very low now, when it gets high, it magnifies this example.

I feel bad for you that gas is still so expensive where you live. I just filled up at Costco today for $2.94! WHOOP WHOOP! Lets see some more dropping! 

$3.97 is average here in Oahu everyday 5% from Penfed plus monthly rewards from safeway grocery stores adds up to about .40 off a gallon. Living on a island i understand why its higher

I could totally understand your situation, you gotta pay for Paradise! I would much rather say I live in Hawaii and pay $3.97 than say I live in North Dakota and pay $2.94. The cold here isn't worth the cheap gas! Smiley Sad

I'd gladly visit Hawaii.

But I wouldn't want to actually live there. I'll leave the reasons why out since we're not allowed to discuss certain things. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 45
yfan
Valued Contributor

Costco by a mile. Let me say why: first, Costco is simply a better experience - employees are happier (probably because they are better compensated), there are additional services like Costco travel and car services, and being able to return merchandise far beyond the "return period" has expired. Paying a little more for a better experience is not new.

The Costco Amex also has a premium experience. Services like primary CDW coverage for a small fee per rental period of up to 45 days, purchase protection and stellar customer service of American Express.

There has been more than one mention in this thread about how Sam's Club is a better shopping experience because it is never crowded. Believe me, Sams Club would love to have Costco's traffic. Low traffic may be good for your time management, but it isn't good for the business' bottom line.

Message 22 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:
The Costco Amex also has a premium experience. Services like primary CDW coverage for a small fee per rental period of up to 45 days, purchase protection and stellar customer service of American Express.

I've been able to do this with all my AMEX cards.

Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:
I'm glad I got my in with AMEX via the TE card. However I hate shopping at Costco. People always trying run me over with their cart. Or shoving past me for free samples.

Sam's is never crowded and a much better shopping experience for me. I was pre-approved for the Sam's card but declined. The SM card beats it on gas and TE is close for restaurant swipe.

Seriously. This is EXACTLY my experience at Sam's/Costco.

It feels like i'm in an open air market when i'm at Costco.

I live in Los Angeles and it seems Costco is ALWAYS packed by hoards of people every single day of the week. Walked into Sam's club and it's surprisingly calmer and less wild on a weekday. Weekends however, can be like Costco.

Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:
I'm glad I got my in with AMEX via the TE card. However I hate shopping at Costco. People always trying run me over with their cart. Or shoving past me for free samples.

Sam's is never crowded and a much better shopping experience for me. I was pre-approved for the Sam's card but declined. The SM card beats it on gas and TE is close for restaurant swipe.

Seriously. This is EXACTLY my experience at Sam's/Costco.

It feels like i'm in an open air market when i'm at Costco.

I live in Los Angeles and it seems Costco is ALWAYS packed by hoards of people every single day of the week. Walked into Sam's club and it's surprisingly calmer and less wild on a weekday. Weekends however, can be like Costco.

Oh, how do you do it?

If Costco didn't have such good product.....

Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both Costco and Sam's membership.
As a small business owner, I love sam's for their lower price and quicker checkout.
The wife loves costco for their baby wipes (aka makeup cleaner).
I throw up every time I renew my costco membership as I feel Sam's club is superior to Costco in every aspect.

Message 26 of 45
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have both Costco and Sam's membership.
As a small business owner, I love sam's for their lower price and quicker checkout.
The wife loves costco for their baby wipes (aka makeup cleaner).
I throw up every time I renew my costco membership as I feel Sam's club is superior to Costco in every aspect.

I have such opposite experiences compare to yours. My wife and I love Costco.

I feel neither Sam's customer service nor their products can compare to Costco's.

Although I would not feel like throwing up if I have to renew my Sam's membership.

There were several ppl in the post mentioned Sam's was calmer compare to Costco. There is a reason why.

As for a business, the more customers the better.

Message 27 of 45
haiti222
Contributor

Do you get the 5 points (5%) if you buy gas with the SM at Sam's?

Message 28 of 45
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

I've been able to do this with all my AMEX cards.

Right, but I was comparing it to the Sams MC, not other Amex products.

Message 29 of 45
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Costco beats Sam's by a longshot. They have a better organic selection for produce, meat and other items. Everything to me is all around better. 

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.