Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco vs Sams

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Costco vs Sams

@DrZoidberg wrote:

Costco beats Sam's by a longshot. They have a better organic selection for produce, meat and other items. Everything to me is all around better. 

There is also the Kirkland brand from Costco - with very high quality products for a fraction of the cost of name brands. I choose the Kirkland brand with every product I can.

Message 31 of 45
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

@haiti222 wrote:

Do you get the 5 points (5%) if you buy gas with the SM at Sam's?

You do not get 5% CB with the SM card. It's codes as a club store and not grocery/supermarket.

I like Costco services, in fact I recently switched my auto insurance to them. Saving me about $200 dollars. I don't like having to wait 40 mins to check out at 2PM on a Tuesday. In my experience I receive less customer service at Costco due to the amount of people.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 32 of 45
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Yes,  Walmart has gas stations at some Walmarts.   They run by Murphy's Gas, but they are in the parking lots of Walmarts.  You get 5 cents off a gallon at the pump, if you use a Walmart MC or the Walmart Store card.   You can use a Walmart Gift card, but you only get a 3 cents off a gallon.

Message 33 of 45
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

They both have gas stations near our home. Easily the best gas for the buck and both match prices at the pump.

Amex TrueEarnings  3% gas $4K/yr limit, 2% restaurants

Sams MC                  5% gas $6K/yr limit, 3% restaurants

I dislike everything Walmart. I like Costco/Amex business models. And I hate hypocricy, but fiscally, I didn't think things through 6 months ago when I joined Costco and Amex TrueEarnings. Smiley Frustrated

Amex needs to step up their game!

Just for extended conversation.  Here is where a Barclays SM might be better, like it is for a lot of people.  If there are Kroger stores with gas close to you.  And I will compare the current gasbuddy prices near me (not to brag on the low gas prices, I feel for you guys).

Costco = 2.47 per gal. - 5% any rewards card = 2.34

Kroger = 2.65 per gal. - with Sallie Mae - .20 cents per gal for spending $200 in gorceries at Kroger before filling up = 2.45 - 5% with SM = 2.32

Costoco is too far from me, but Kroger is where we do all our grocery shopping and fueling.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 34 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco wins for me by a mile. Everything about them is so much better.

Also, Costco has top tier gas (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html).

Message 35 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top tier gas, top tier price.
Message 36 of 45
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I like Costco more but for credit card Sams wins.

Even in the example with Kroger above, if you are in the rewards program Sams card is same price card has nothing to do with the. 20 off that was in store spending rewards.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 37 of 45
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

@haiti222 wrote:

Do you get the 5 points (5%) if you buy gas with the SM at Sam's?

But you get an EXTRA 5cents off per gallon for using the sams card at sams.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 38 of 45
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:
I like Costco more but for credit card Sams wins.

Even in the example with Kroger above, if you are in the rewards program Sams card is same price card has nothing to do with the. 20 off that was in store spending rewards.

Pretty much why I said just for an extended conversation on the subject.  Although we are only talking pennies, there are ways to get even cheaper gas.  Maybe there is even a better way than I found in my area that I haven't found yet.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 39 of 45
leoment
Frequent Contributor

no amount of rewards makes me want to shop at Walmart and its related stores, so Costco - bar none! They could change their rewards structure to be even higher and I still wouldn't bite. Costco + Amex >>>>>

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.