cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I get approved for an unsecured card with a charged off from 4yrs ago?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Could I get approved for an unsecured card with a charged off from 4yrs ago?

I currently only have a Wells Fargo secured  credit card besides a mortgage and it has helped me tremendously to increase my credit score to just under 700. 

Do you think at this point with having the wells fargo card with good payment history and a higher credit score I would be able to get approved for an unsecured credit card from another lender even if I still have a charged off credit card from 2011 that I have not been able to settle yet?

Or no matter if my score was 800, no lender would approve me with a charge off still showing on my credit report?

Thanks for your input !!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Could I get approved for an unsecured card with a charged off from 4yrs ago?

@Superduper2014 wrote:

I currently only have a Wells Fargo secured  credit card besides a mortgage and it has helped me tremendously to increase my credit score to just under 700. 

Do you think at this point with having the wells fargo card with good payment history and a higher credit score I would be able to get approved for an unsecured credit card from another lender even if I still have a charged off credit card from 2011 that I have not been able to settle yet?

Or no matter if my score was 800, no lender would approve me with a charge off still showing on my credit report?

Thanks for your input !!

Possibly but the chargeoff may need to age a bit more.

Message 2 of 25
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Re: Could I get approved for an unsecured card with a charged off from 4yrs ago?

Thanks for your reply. 

How many years as a rule of thumb have to pass in order to get a chance at an unsecured card and what card would be easier to get?

My  secured credit card is graduating this month to unsecured. I know this does not increase the credit score but I wonder if this helps for other credit cards when applying for an unsecured card with them. (to have only unsecured cards on your credit, I mean) 

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. 

How many years as a rule of thumb have to pass in order to get a chance at an unsecured card and what card would be easier to get?

My  secured credit card is graduating this month to unsecured. I know this does not increase the credit score but I wonder if this helps for other credit cards when applying for an unsecured card with them. (to have only unsecured cards on your credit, I mean) 

Thanks again!

Well.

I bet you'd have a great chance with Capital One. They really don't seem to mind old C/O's. (But there is that whole triple pull thing..)

Some of your lenders that lean more on the prime side will likely have an issue with it, but if you've been flying straight since then you should be able to get reconsideration approval. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can I have many charge offs, and a lower score. I have three unsecured cards. You should be able to get a great card. Try quicksilver. 

Message 5 of 25
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Hi Fordex,

Do you mean you have a few charged off that are still showing a balance and you have not settled and still managed to get approved for unsecured cards? 

Besides quicksilver, what other cards did you manage to get if you don't mind?

I doubt that Cap One, Citi, BOA, Chase or Discover will approve me since I ended up settling with them and I am sure they have me flagged or something Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one is very forgiving from what  I have read. I have a qs1, one of cp1 platnum credit cards, and a nordstrom card. Nordstrom is just a charge I know. But almost all my fico scores are below 600.. with unpaid collections, charge offs and a judgement. 

Message 7 of 25
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Hi Fordex,

Do you mean you have a few charged off that are still showing a balance and you have not settled and still managed to get approved for unsecured cards? 

I doubt that Cap One, Citi, BOA, Chase or Discover will approve me since I ended up settling with them and I am sure they have me flagged or something Smiley Sad

Among your list, Capital One is the one that lis likely to give you a second chance.  If your CO was 4 years ago and your scores are near 700, I think you have a good shot with them.  Another company you might consider is Barclays, since they aren't on your list that you settled with.  With Barclays, I'm not sure how you'd fare under their auto-approval, but their recon representatives are very helpful.

Message 8 of 25
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@happypill wrote:

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Hi Fordex,

Among your list, Capital One is the one that lis likely to give you a second chance.  If your CO was 4 years ago and your scores are near 700, I think you have a good shot with them.  Another company you might consider is Barclays, since they aren't on your list that you settled with.  With Barclays, I'm not sure how you'd fare under their auto-approval, but their recon representatives are very helpful.

I applied with Barclays around 10 months ago and at that point I had no credit cards since they were all closed and my credit score was really low. 

I remember that I called them and they explained they wanted to see at least a year with another card and good payments and better score. 

Now that my score is in the 700 maybe they will approve me but it has not been a full year of having my secured wells fargo card yet. I wonder if I would get approved regardless. 

As for Cap One, they sold off the account to a junk debt collector about  8 months ago. Not sure if they will want to work with me being so recent. I tried to settle with them but they would not budge, unfortunately. 

Message 9 of 25
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I have several charge-offs from 2009 and was just approved for 8 unsecureds

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.