Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I qualify for any rewards cards?

tag
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Could I qualify for any rewards cards?

I am trying to be patient as I rebuilt my credit reputation, BUT I am really coveting a rewards type card.  My biggest issues are 2 COs.  One with a balance due to fall off in January and one from early 2010 showing a zero balance (was 600 from an auto finance).  And a late to a Utility company 12 mos ago (oversite and trying to GW).  I have a mortgage paid on time past 2 yrs.  My income is 100k average.  I opened two CCs this past October/November.  They are a Cap One 1k CL and Walmart store 1k.

Below is a short synopsis of credit reports.  TU and EQ purchased from myfico a few days ago and EX purchased from their site.

Total UTIL = 21% (until payment clears which will put me under 13%)

TU = 673

AAOA  = 8 yrs

INQs    = 2  (1 falls off in a month)

EQ = 654

AAOA  = 10 yrs

INQs    = 1

EX = 673

INQs  = 2

Obviously I would fair much better after January, but I am curious if anyone has any opinion on a rewards type card that I might qualify within the next month or so.  Thanks for reading.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Could I qualify for any rewards cards?

you can apply for the bank of america 123 rewards, or wells fargo rewards. you should get those w/o any issues.

if you wanna take a chance, you might even qualify for a freedom.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 20
lithium78
Established Contributor

I got a BoA 123 Cash Rewards and a Discover card with your kind of scores and credit blemishes.  It might be worth a shot.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 20
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You can most likely qualify for the Capital One Cash Rewards card for average credit. It gives 1.5% cash back with no min balance needed to redeem.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 20
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I will check the BOA123, Wells fargo, and Freedom as mentioned to see which one I have a better shot at.  I thought of the Cap One as mentioned, but everything I read is that they are not real CLI friendly.

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 5 of 20
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

+1 for 123; I would hold on the Freedom. Chase is a tough one

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 6 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have to agree with a3quit4s. Definitely BoA, Freedom I can't see with multiple baddies ESP recent ones....unless you have a banking relationship with them.
Cap 1 will pull all 3 CR's so be warned.
Message 7 of 20
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Cap1 is not CLI friendly but they are working on expanding CLIs to more customers in the future as when you go through the Executive Office, you have a really good chance of getting what you want. My Cash Rewards card started in July with a $2000 limit and it was increased to $2500 a couple of months ago. It is not best limit and I know I am a ways away from another increase but it still gives me enough flexibility to cover all my everyday expenses every month.

The Chase Freedom is definitely the most difficult to obtain on the list but if you are approved for it, the rewards structure is awesome! I have only had my Chase Freedom for 45 days and I already have $127 in cash back because of the $100 sign up bonus if you spend $500 in the first 3 months. And I love the 5% rotating categories because this quarter I am using my Freedom for gas instead of the Cap1 Rewards card and I get 5% back instead of 1% back.

My Freedom app was initially declined with a 703 credit score. I had to call back for reconsideration and I got a recommended approval and then it took an additional 3 weeks on top of that to be fully approved, get my limit, and receive my card. So if you apply and are denied the Freedom, recon, recon, recon! Chase has a great recon department.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 20
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Yeah I will cancel the Freedom thoughts for now, as they are a little tough for my situation.  I looked at the BOA123 and it looks good for my situation, BUT, I am not fond of passing out my employer phone number.  I can't remember seeing that on an app since my very first jeweler cc when I was 18 yrs old.  I am pretty positive I don't want them calling my employer.  Not because of anything other than I don't like a connection between my personal life and business, even though I know they would only confirm employment.

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 9 of 20
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would say the Freedom is worth a shot. Go on an app spree and include them.

A recon with that income should be possible. Shouldn't be too hard to get a low limit freedom.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.