cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could my score really be 39 points higher than my FAKO indicates??

tag
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Could my score really be 39 points higher than my FAKO indicates??

So I often check my credit score (FAKO from Equifax) just to keep reference of a ballpark of what my score is...Anyhow, when I recently requested a CLI from Cap 1, I was denied because I only had my QS card one month (it was a shot in the dark and I knew that). Anyhow, on my denial letter is showed my Equifax score of 39 points higher than my FAKO was giving me on that date (Jan 28th). Could it be possible that my score is really that much higher than what Equifax directly is giving me???? I thought a FAKO score was generally higher than it really is?? Can someone chime in on this and provide some clarification? Trust me, I'm not complaining, as I will willingly take a better score, but could this be right???

P.S. THE SCORING RANGE CAPITAL ONE GAVE WAS FROM 350-850, WHEN THEY PROVIDED MY SCORE.

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

Re: Could my score really be 39 points higher than my FAKO indicates??

The Cap One score is a FICO, the Fako has absolutely no correlation to the real FICO score, it uses it's own algorithm and some are higher and some are lower. It depends on the person, their profile, and the algorithm of the FAKO. And maybe some magical pixie dust. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 17
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Since it's FAKO it could be higher or lower than real score on any given day.  

I have learned not to put too much into the relationship between FAKO and FICO because my scores have been all over the place comparing the two.

Also some lenders may use internal scoring models which will really throw things off!  LOL!

So in answer to your question, yes your real score could be that much higher than your FAKO.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 17
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Definitely a YMMV, my EX FAKO is 57 points higher than my Fico. I imagine it could go the other way as well as FAKO scores things differently some for the better cant see why some wouldn't be for the worse..

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 4 of 17
clocktick
Valued Contributor

FAKOs are exactly that - fake.  Many don't pay any attention to them at all.

Cap One gave a range of 350-850, and not 300-850?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 17
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

It could have been 300-850. I was jut referencing it for the top number of 850 more than anything. Does anyone know if Cap 1 is a true FICO? If so, I'm closer to 700 than I think!
In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 6 of 17
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

The difference is amazing - My Discover Fico is 71 points higher than Credit Karma Fako Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 17
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

My EQ FAKO is 638.  The EQ Fico I got last week from Citi said 683 and my TU Fico from WalMart is 685.

I really like the Equifax service because for $12 / month I can pull my report whenever I want (once per day) and I like the notifications.  The score they give, however, is just for fun.  I do not pay any attention to it at all really.  The only time I ever even look at it is on the little graph thing to see if it's trending up or down.  As far as the actual number goes, it's meaningless.

Message 8 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

The EQ score you got from Cap 1 could be a EQ Beacon 9.0 version; some lenders who pull EQ do use that version, the most recent.  Check the letter again, see if it mentions the Beacon version.  You can also spend the $15 or so bucks here, pull your EQ MyFICO score and see how they compare.  The EQ version here is Beacon 5.0.  As the others have said, pay no attention to the FAKOS (or the man behind the curtain...!) Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 17
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

My FICOs are always a lot higher than my avg FAKOs, usually by 40-60 points!  So before I apply for something I depend on my FAKOs just to low-ball things as I believe credit card banks internal scoring are more on par with my FAKOs.

My FICO seems too fake, ironically!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.