Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of AMEX questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple of AMEX questions

I have AMEX ED with a limit of 12k, I last had a CLI June of 2016.  I finally got around to requesting another CLI and it was declined because of my FICO score.  I thought that was odd because my Experian Fico 8 which they use is 671 which should be fine.  As I read the denial letter it states my score was 635 on January 21st (my score was depressed from high utliization which has been paid down under 20% from 72% in January).  The date of my CLI request was February 21st. Clearly they do a account review SP at some interval, does anyone know how frequently they do this?  Also does this mean I have to wait 91 days until my next CLI?

Also my wife was recently approved for AMEX ED Preffered and on the letter that comes with the card they say they pulled Transunion.  Anyone ever hear of AMEX using TU?  That is a new one on me.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Couple of AMEX questions

Scores aren't everything with AMEX.  However the 30 some odd points must have made the difference here for whatever reason.  More likely it wasn't the score but the high utilizaion they saw.  AMEX and most other companies don't actually SP when you hit the button as you can see here.  The only way around the 90 day hold is if you did the request inside the CLI clock period which isn't the case since the last one was 6/2016.

I haven't seen AMEX pull a TU on anyone like ever.  It's possible thugh since they're able to pull from any of the big 3 CRA's and if they don't get a hit there they can even go off the reservation to another 3rd party that collects credit info.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Austinguy, the letter stated fico score as the reason but I am sure you are correct that they look at multiple factors.  I will try again in a month or so and report back.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is interesting are you able to track all of your soft and hard pull?
Message 4 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have AMEX ED with a limit of 12k, I last had a CLI June of 2016.  I finally got around to requesting another CLI and it was declined because of my FICO score.  I thought that was odd because my Experian Fico 8 which they use is 671 which should be fine.  As I read the denial letter it states my score was 635 on January 21st (my score was depressed from high utliization which has been paid down under 20% from 72% in January).  The date of my CLI request was February 21st. Clearly they do a account review SP at some interval, does anyone know how frequently they do this?  Also does this mean I have to wait 91 days until my next CLI?

Also my wife was recently approved for AMEX ED Preffered and on the letter that comes with the card they say they pulled Transunion.  Anyone ever hear of AMEX using TU?  That is a new one on me.  

My understanding is that when Amex turns you down for a CLI you need to wait 91 days to pull the lever again.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding is that when Amex turns you down for a CLI you need to wait 91 days to pull the lever again.

Thanks, I have recently learned that.  I will see what happens in 3 months I guess.  

Message 6 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

If your score is higher and your utilization is lower now, then call and request a recon.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.