Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Chase Questions

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Couple of Chase Questions

Hello fellow members, I've got a couple of Chase CC-related questions. I know that answers on the board are subjective and nobody apart from Chase knows these for sure but I want to get a feel for it.

(1) Does Chase have a strong income-to-total-credit-limit ratio across all of its cards (branded, co-branded, etc)?

- Is it almost the same across all income levels?

- If I update my income, does it take into account "other income" to determine possible CLI or new credit?

- Last, if I've hit the ceiling for (SP/Auto) CLIs, is it likely that new apps will get denied for "not enough income" with Chase?

- - - Reason for asking: My Southwest RR Premier is 5 months old now and didn't get a CLI; I started off with $4k when others have typically given me a Signature. I think my old income couldn't afford any more CLIs. I'm (a bit) interested in their other cards especially the hotel lines. I also have my checking with direct deposit there; they know my income, and also the share from my SO to pay off a lot of the family bills - I just updated that as well.

(2) Does Chase let you merge co-branded account CL with their own brand? My CSP first AF is due in 3 months; and I'm maybe 70-30 in favour of keeping it (because of points transfer and making most of my Freedom points, and whatever dining and travelling we do).

- - - Not really getting that much out of the Southwest except from the bonus points that was worth the AF - 2RR points are available on CSP as well; and I don't think I can make it to 110k points anyways. So it'll get to the chopping block by the end of the year, but I want to transfer the CL to CSP maybe? I've done a limit transfer before but it was from Slate to Freedom and then from CSP to Freedom.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Couple of Chase Questions

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hello fellow members, I've got a couple of Chase CC-related questions. I know that answers on the board are subjective and nobody apart from Chase knows these for sure but I want to get a feel for it.

(1) Does Chase have a strong income-to-total-credit-limit ratio across all of its cards (branded, co-branded, etc)?

- Is it almost the same across all income levels?

- If I update my income, does it take into account "other income" to determine possible CLI or new credit?

- Last, if I've hit the ceiling for (SP/Auto) CLIs, is it likely that new apps will get denied for "not enough income" with Chase?

- - - Reason for asking: My Southwest RR Premier is 5 months old now and didn't get a CLI; I started off with $4k when others have typically given me a Signature. I think my old income couldn't afford any more CLIs. I'm (a bit) interested in their other cards especially the hotel lines. I also have my checking with direct deposit there; they know my income, and also the share from my SO to pay off a lot of the family bills - I just updated that as well.

(2) Does Chase let you merge co-branded account CL with their own brand? My CSP first AF is due in 3 months; and I'm maybe 70-30 in favour of keeping it (because of points transfer and making most of my Freedom points, and whatever dining and travelling we do).

- - - Not really getting that much out of the Southwest except from the bonus points that was worth the AF - 2RR points are available on CSP as well; and I don't think I can make it to 110k points anyways. So it'll get to the chopping block by the end of the year, but I want to transfer the CL to CSP maybe? I've done a limit transfer before but it was from Slate to Freedom and then from CSP to Freedom.

When it comes to Chase, it seems what you got in with is what you're stuck with unless you allow credit to be pulled and update income at the time of review. To answer your second question, Yes you can move CL between Chase brand and Co-brand, Chase backed cards.

Message 2 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When it comes to Chase, it seems what you got in with is what you're stuck with unless you allow credit to be pulled and update income at the time of review. To answer your second question, Yes you can move CL between Chase brand and Co-brand, Chase backed cards.

Thanks tuolumne Smiley Happy 

I know asking for CLI is a HP; I'm not really going to ask for one. However, on my last two cards (Freedom and CSP), 5-month CLIs came like clockwork. On the SWRR, nothing to be seen. Agreed, the SWRR gets a lot less spend than the Freedom or the CSP saw in their first 3-4 months (in respect to their limits) so that COULD be a factor. But I'm starting to think it's something to do with my income. 

Message 3 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Chase is known for having a hard limit they are willing to extend to you across all of your Chase cards.  I believe it is based on your Chase internal credit score, Chase relationship, income and possibly assets at Chase.  Typically, the exposure limit is fairly reasonable, but with multiple cards you can hit it.  Once you hit the limit, Chase will not approve you for any more credit.  To be approved for more credit cards you have to either close or reallocate credit from other Chase credit cards.  Note, it is supposed to be easy to reallocate credit limits if you are denied based on max exposure.   I don't believe Chase has a limit on the total number of cards you can have with them.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are odd with limits, I was approved for two cards two weeks ago, one Chase hotel card with a 3k limit. My scores dropped say 10 points or so with the hurt to AOAA and the two inquiry's.  I then decided I wanted just one more and tried for another Chase hotel card, and got 5k. What? Lower score, lower AOAA and all else exactly the same but better signature line. 

Dont care, but it was funny to see my result and it was not what I expected!

Message 5 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

Chase is known for having a hard limit they are willing to extend to you across all of your Chase cards.  I believe it is based on your Chase internal credit score, Chase relationship, income and possibly assets at Chase.  Typically, the exposure limit is fairly reasonable, but with multiple cards you can hit it.  Once you hit the limit, Chase will not approve you for any more credit.  To be approved for more credit cards you have to either close or reallocate credit from other Chase credit cards.  Note, it is supposed to be easy to reallocate credit limits if you are denied based on max exposure.   I don't believe Chase has a limit on the total number of cards you can have with them.

Thanks CreditDunce Smiley Happy

Yes; I'm reading more about Chase's internal credit scores but I can't figure out where that ceiling is. I updated my income without asking for a CLI; I'll wait and see if that triggers any SP CLI. 

I guess something similar has happened with US Bank and probably Cap One as well; though, I've got some time to try the Cap One CLI request; dunno if that will work. But US Bank went from fantastic limits on the Cash+ to crappy ones on the Carlson, though it might have something to do with my ARS / IDA as well. 

Back to Chase, I don't have a lot of wiggle room now. Guess if they don't move my internal limit upwards, I won't have any more signature lines Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They are odd with limits, I was approved for two cards two weeks ago, one Chase hotel card with a 3k limit. My scores dropped say 10 points or so with the hurt to AOAA and the two inquiry's.  I then decided I wanted just one more and tried for another Chase hotel card, and got 5k. What? Lower score, lower AOAA and all else exactly the same but better signature line. 

Dont care, but it was funny to see my result and it was not what I expected!

Chase has been known to offer higher CL on cards with large annual fees. Do you think that's what happened with you? Anecdotally, a lot of people here got approved for lower Freedom and higher CSP limits with same or similar profiles. The CSP starts at $5k limit so that's what they got; Freedom was possibly $2-3k. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My girls income is 80k, she has baddies fro years ago. We applied for several cards, got flat out denied. Tried again when her fico hot 680+ across the board she got approved for three cards at once totaling 55k in exposure. She had 1 chase card for 2k for the last 6 months, long story short Iwe just consolidated all three cards to make her southwest a 52k card. Added myself as a authorized user and put about 25k on the card within 20 days of consolidation. No payments have been made yet. So to answer your question, chase is very generous with all types of incomes. I make a lot more than her and she is qualifying for similar credit card limits as me with chase.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.