cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crap 1 called me with an "opportunity" to opt in on over the limit fees.

tag
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

Crap 1 called me with an "opportunity" to opt in on over the limit fees.

I got a phone call from Crap 1 saying I can "opt in" to allow me to go over my credit limit with a reduced fee of $25.00 down from $35.00. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the law changing to ban over the limit fees altogether. The way I feel about this is if my card is maxed out...I deserve to be cut off, not charged to death. What I personally need from Crap 1 is a CLI. But Crap 1 keeps telling me my card is not eligible for a CLI even though my salary is up 20K and my FICO score up 200 points since opening the trade line. I will not fire them and rehire them just so I can get a card that will grow with me. And I certainly won’t opt in so I can go over the limit with a fee. That's just retarded. 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Crap 1 called me with an "opportunity" to opt in on over the limit fees.

@Hairy_Satchel wrote:

I got a phone call from Crap 1 saying I can "opt in" to allow me to go over my credit limit with a reduced fee of $25.00 down from $35.00. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the law changing to ban over the limit fees altogether. The way I feel about this is if my card is maxed out...I deserve to be cut off, not charged to death. What I personally need from Crap 1 is a CLI. But Crap 1 keeps telling me my card is not eligible for a CLI even though my salary is up 20K and my FICO score up 200 points since opening the trade line. I will not fire them and rehire them just so I can get a card that will grow with me. And I certainly won’t opt in so I can go over the limit with a fee. That's just retarded. 

incorrect.

If you are that unhappy with your service provider perhaps you should quit doing business with them?

Message 2 of 25
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

Hey Mr USMC: You have told me I'm wrong without correcting me. How about giving everyone on this forum information they can use instead of just snide remarks. Oh and don't worry about me, I will fire Crap1 just like I have done with WaMu and HSBC.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 25
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can read all about it here:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-law-interactive-1282.php

Thanks for posting that link!!

Message 5 of 25
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hairy_Satchel wrote:

Here's is even more info on the subject:

http://consumerist.com/5396760/update-capital-one-waive-your-rights-get-10-off-your-next-overlimit-f...

So you had your own answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way- for all people, the ability to charge an over limit fee means that you can go over limit on the account- which also means you can get a pre approval that will go over your limit. Which means a transaction will be approved, even if the net amount will not put you over the limit, but the pre approval will.(car rentals, hotel stays etc.)

As you can also plainly see, overlimit fees are not banned all together, but you must opt in.

EDITED TO ADD:

NOT OPTING IN- may make some transactions you currently make daily and do not even think about suddenly impossible.

I have already found this out in the real world

Message Edited by usmc58555 on 11-05-2009 09:08 AM
Message 7 of 25
DI
Super Contributor

+1 You took the words right out of my mouth. 
Message 8 of 25
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

EDITED TO ADD:

NOT OPTING IN- may make some transactions you currently make daily and do not even think about suddenly impossible.

I have already found this out in the real world

Message Edited by usmc58555 on 11-05-2009 09:08 AM

Can you elaborate on this?  Do you mean like when you get gas and they put a $100 hold on the account but you only get $10 in gas?  If so, not an issue for me, because gas pumps in my area only do a $1 hold Smiley Happy  plus I don't spend on a card that's within 100 of its limit, but I know some rebuilding cards only have limits of 200 or 300, so I can see where it would be an issue.

If that's not specifically what you were talking about, please elaborate.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hairy:

The new laws prohibit the CCC's from arbitrarily approving charges above the agreed or assigned credit limit if it results in charging a fee or increased interest unless there is a specific agreement (consent or "opt in") by the consumer that they understand these charges and wish to opt in.  Otherwise the default is that the CCC must decline the charge which results in an OL amount and thus refrain from OL fees or default interest rates due to OL.

P.S.  On a side note, I would like to remind everyone here that this forum is a place for the exchange of information, without reprisal and discrimination.  I would ask for those who are in "the know" to be kind in the manner by which you impart of your wisdom or knowledge and not post in a manner which may be inclined to feel like reprimand or put down.  If people begin to fear asking "dumb questions" then very few will be asked and this will become the ghost forum visited only by the wise having no place to impart of their wisdom. 

Some have "dry" humor or humor which borders on satire.  Please be aware that this is less than endearing to some.  Too often a question or even "vent" becomes a battle field of words.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.