Did you mean: 

Crap One is confused

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Crap One is confused

a couple days ago after activating my replacement,

CrapOne: "I see you have been a good customer since 2009"

Me: "since I have been a good customer since 2009, how about a credit limit increase"

CrapOne "your account is not eliligible for a user iniitiated CLI" 

of course denied,

today I get a balance transfer offer,  0 fee and I have a very good rate for a rebuilder card, 11.9%

so I did do a small BT from  my bestbuy it only has a 600 limit, so figured I would pay it off, perhaps if i give them more business they will play nicer with CLI's anyone had experience getting CLI's after BT's from CrapOne?

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Re: Crap One is confused

@jamesdwi wrote:

a couple days ago after activating my replacement,

CrapOne: "I see you have been a good customer since 2009"

Me: "since I have been a good customer since 2009, how about a credit limit increase"

CrapOne "your account is not eliligible for a user iniitiated CLI" 

of course denied,

today I get a balance transfer offer,  0 fee and I have a very good rate for a rebuilder card, 11.9%

so I did do a small BT from  my bestbuy it only has a 600 limit, so figured I would pay it off, perhaps if i give them more business they will play nicer with CLI's anyone had experience getting CLI's after BT's from CrapOne?

They will rather give you the CEO's first-born than a CLI on a rebuilder card. This seems to be the consensus here.

Or, I should be more articulate -- if you treat them well (use them and PIF) rebuilder cards grow slowly but steadily until they reach a plateau. This is generally anywhere between 1,500 and 3,000. After that you can try what you want but it won't happen. There are isolated cases who were offered a PC years and years and years after they were in primeland. My personal experience is that I now have 12k from Amex and Cap 1 won't budge from 2,750. I am waiting to decide if I want to refinance, and at some point will probably apply for a Venture One and SD my Platinum.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 2 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

It seems to happen randomly but not initiated by the customer.  There are many many posts on this.  No one calls them "Crap One" when they're approved at first.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 11
RyVision
Valued Contributor

James;  I agree with the other posters. Cap One isn't much for giving any customer CLI requests or even handing them out at all. They do have a "credit steps" program that will raise a limit from 500 to 750 and up to maybe a max of 1500, they usually send a letter about it. Most likely, the BT really only helped out Cap One (don't know if it saved you any or not).

I've had them for some time, a couple CLI's (750 on 2 cards so far).  Don't expect a CLI from them, what they're really for (and others will probably agree) is building your history and score. Cap One only becomes "Crap One" when someone out grows it. Until then, they're a foot in the door to prime time land.  Although I was lucky enough to have (and still have)  a low limit BOA Gold and Kohls card before Cap One so I have older cards (and AMEX reinstated to 89, Yippie!).  Take care of Cap One and they will be some of the stepping stones paving your way to the accounts you want later as well as the score to get them.   This kind of goes for anyone at building or rebuilding (we all start somewhere). Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 11
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

James;  I agree with the other posters. Cap One isn't much for giving any customer CLI requests or even handing them out at all. They do have a "credit steps" program that will raise a limit from 500 to 750 and up to maybe a max of 1500, they usually send a letter about it. Most likely, the BT really only helped out Cap One (don't know if it saved you any or not).

I've had them for some time, a couple CLI's (750 on 2 cards so far).  Don't expect a CLI from them, what they're really for (and others will probably agree) is building your history and score. Cap One only becomes "Crap One" when someone out grows it. Until then, they're a foot in the door to prime time land.  Although I was lucky enough to have (and still have)  a low limit BOA Gold and Kohls card before Cap One so I have older cards (and AMEX reinstated to 89, Yippie!).  Take care of Cap One and they will be some of the stepping stones paving your way to the accounts you want later as well as the score to get them.   This kind of goes for anyone at building or rebuilding (we all start somewhere). Smiley Happy

+1! I moved from them to Chase and Amex. I am very grateful to Cap 1.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One was the first credit card in 10 years to take a chance on me.  It helped me to get my foot back in the door with Amex, Discover, Citi, and Chase.  Even if my Cap One $1,750 limit goes no further, it will have served its purpose for me.  I'm grateful.

Message 6 of 11
deemutz
Valued Member

Cap one was the first to take a chance on me also after about 10+ years of not so stellar credit. (divorce,charge-offs,judgments)

finally filed C7 bk year and half ago after yet another surprise from divorce bite me in the ass (I even filed on my childhood library card so my past would stay there)

tried cap one this past summer after 1 year out, and they approved for 300 CL (crappy, but still approved) and just got the auto increase to 500

treat em right and garden is my approach for now

Starting Score 12-2011: EX 640 FAKO TU 550 FAKO 6-2011
Current Score 3-2012: EX 635 TU 603 myFICO 3-2012 EQ 670 MyFICO
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
In the Garden, trying to avoid the Christmas temptation. Last app 9/2012
Message 7 of 11
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Oddly enough, Capital One did something for me that BOA wouldn't, they gave me a CLI with even far less time as a customer than BOA.  They all started at 500 with rewards (other than Kohl's) and nearly 4 years later for BOA, still 500, 2 Cap One's, 1 is less than 2 years old, the other less than a year both at 750, which is ok, I have larger CL's and Cap One doesn't care where you use it, say the post office or online etc like I hear some issuers frown on possibly (all sent offers to apply, along with First Premier which I laughed at and glad I didn't accept, terms were terrible). I also feel safer using a lower limit card for online use a lot of the time.

From what I've seen for terms, Cap One is the prime of sub prime when I read what First Premier, Orchard and some others offer.  Though I never frown on someone using any of those either, Cap One doesn't accept everyone right away. Kind of a ladder at every level. And I've never seen or used a ladder that didn't have rungs at the bottom (best thought of as a foundation really).  Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 11
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

I just received $1500 on my Cap One rebuilder.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I can certainly understand your frustration with capital one.  I had one for for 3 years to rebuild my credit.  I think its VERY important to remember that these cards are NOT set up to give you lots of credit line increases.  I feel you lucky to get 2 over the life of the card.  As many users will tell you that they Max out usually around 750-1500. 

It was because of these sub prime cards that I am able to be where I am today!!!

Good luck

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.