Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Amex Story with a CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crazy Amex Story with a CSR

I've had my PR Gold for about 6 months and app'd for a Blue a couple weeks ago and was approved with a 3k CL.  Last week I app'd for Delta SkyMiles card and approved with a 2k CL.  So I call in today so I can give them my correct Delta Skymiles frequent flyer number.  The problem is I don't have the card yet, so i give the CSR my SSN.  She finds the new card and adds the frequent flyer number.  Before I get off the phone, she says, I show you have a payment that hasn't been made on your Green card.  I said, i haven't had a Green card since 1993 (BTW, it was a CO that was never paid).  She looks it up and says, nevermind, my fault, this card isn't active and was closed 19 years ago.  She apologizes and said, nevermind!

At first I freaked out thinking they found this CO from almost 20 years ago and might cancel all my cards.  After some thought, I'm sure they know my past with them.  Any comments?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Crazy Amex Story with a CSR

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my PR Gold for about 6 months and app'd for a Blue a couple weeks ago and was approved with a 3k CL.  Last week I app'd for Delta SkyMiles card and approved with a 2k CL.  So I call in today so I can give them my correct Delta Skymiles frequent flyer number.  The problem is I don't have the card yet, so i give the CSR my SSN.  She finds the new card and adds the frequent flyer number.  Before I get off the phone, she says, I show you have a payment that hasn't been made on your Green card.  I said, i haven't had a Green card since 1993 (BTW, it was a CO that was never paid).  She looks it up and says, nevermind, my fault, this card isn't active and was closed 19 years ago.  She apologizes and said, nevermind!

At first I freaked out thinking they found this CO from almost 20 years ago and might cancel all my cards.  After some thought, I'm sure they know my past with them.  Any comments?

Grr. They said they couldn't find and backdate me because my account because it was too old i.e. it was closed 10 years ago. And now they say to you that your 20 year old account is showing!

Edit: Although, I was told that they wouldn't have it if it was closed paid in full.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is a pretty smart company.  I'm sure if my old Green card CO was an issue, they wouldn't allow me to have the cards they've given me.

Message 3 of 4
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Grr. They said they couldn't find and backdate me because my account because it was too old i.e. it was closed 10 years ago. And now they say to you that your 20 year old account is showing!

Edit: Although, I was told that they wouldn't have it if it was closed paid in full.

As I said, AMEX never purges anything totally.  You just have to wait a while (which you have kind of) and call in and get another CSR and ask about the back dating (you're a card using member now).  Being nice and patient (and persistant) will probably work.

Disclaimer:  A friend worked for them for years. I've heard a lot (well, more than I ever thought I would lol)   Smiley Wink.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.